IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Always embarrassing for those who can't spell embarrassing, but not really in the mood for 'funnies' right now

Ok, they won the European Cup, but look at the manner it was achieved. Was they really the best club team in Europe that night ? Bullshit. But as before, quite often the team who wins anything in sport, isn't always the best. That night was just another occasion. If a team wins a competition with flair or panache then more power to them, but that night in Munich, they did themselves no favors with their dire tactics and 'let's just stifle the game and fuck tradition and bore the crowd to death'

They may have got their way, and reached an objective, but it must have been painful to watch for all neutral observers. Thankfully they won't be involved this time out so we shall (hopefully) see a team worthy of being European Champions. Dortmund or Madrid quite possibly. That's all I have to say on the issue

Always embarrassing for those who can't spell embarrassing, but not really in the mood for 'funnies' right now

Ok, they won the European Cup, but look at the manner it was achieved. Was they really the best club team in Europe that night ? Bullshit. But as before, quite often the team who wins anything in sport, isn't always the best. That night was just another occasion. If a team wins a competition with flair or panache then more power to them, but that night in Munich, they did themselves no favors with their dire tactics and 'let's just stifle the game and fuck tradition and bore the crowd to death'

They may have got their way, and reached an objective, but it must have been painful to watch for all neutral observers. Thankfully they won't be involved this time out so we shall (hopefully) see a team worthy of being European Champions. Dortmund or Madrid quite possibly. That's all I have to say on the issue

Play with flair and lose or play sensible and win.....I know what I'd choose.

Raul Mereiles (sp) handed 11 match ban for spitting at referee and making a homosexual gesture to him after being sent off in the Fenerbache vs. Galatasary derby. 11 games seems harsh considering that Suarez was only given 8 for being a racist.

Watch the video for yourselves and make your mind up - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watch-video-of-raul-meireles-breakdown-1500174

Raul Mereiles (sp) handed 11 match ban for spitting at referee and making a homosexual gesture to him after being sent off in the Fenerbache vs. Galatasary derby. 11 games seems harsh considering that Suarez was only given 8 for being a racist.

Watch the video for yourselves and make your mind up - http://www.mirror.co...eakdown-1500174

Doesn't look like he has spat at him imo, throw the book at him if he has. As for the abuse, Rooney has done much worst after lesser bad calls from the ref than that and didn't even get a yellow. Very harsh ban.

Can't see him spitting at the referee anywhere in those vids to be honest. I don't really have Meireles down as someone who would do that, he's always one of the most professional players for our national team and always comes across as a level headed guy. That said, you can always get carried away in the heat of the moment so I'll reserve judgement.

I couldn't even watch it, but someone should be spitting at him with that awful hair design.

Look, I don't endorse this kind of behavior at other players or professionals, it's a dirty thing to do. But an eleven match ban was it ? Oh, he made homosexual implications also. Hardly professional behavior, but still seems too much. Especially when players anywhere can get off much lightly for much worse.

What did Di Canio get when he pushed over that match official a few years back at Hillsborough. The ref' should have got an Oscar or thespian award for it, but it was still a bad thing to do. You don't go around pushing and shoving at the man in the middle. Point is, even that was a lot less for a lot worse. That's just one example.

Went to check it out of curiosity, Di Canio was banned for 11 games as well. Hah. For some reason I thought it had been longer than that. Still, I think an 11 match ban is a fair punishment if Meireles did actually spit at the ref. But at the moment it seems to be a big if.

Anyway Arsenal are in action at Wigan. Kone just missed a great chance. Come on Wigan, do us a favour here...

I'd want Arsenal to win because I don't like Wigan but seeing as Arsenal are more of a threat to us I'll give a cheer to the Latics. I do believe they can do it too, they're at home and considering how bad Arsenal have been it could well end in our favour.

Wigan Athletic 0 Arsenal 1

Mikel Arteta scores from the penalty spot to put the Gunners into the lead, Mikel has scored 13 of the 15 penalties that he has taken in the Premier League which is a nice little record to have. Surely from 1-0 on 60 minutes Arsenal should win, Wenger's head will roll if they don't.

Wigan Athletic 0 Arsenal 1

Mikel Arteta scores from the penalty spot to put the Gunners into the lead, Mikel has scored 13 of the 15 penalties that he has taken in the Premier League which is a nice little record to have. Surely from 1-0 on 60 minutes Arsenal should win, Wenger's head will roll if they don't.

I thought he missed more than one for us. Always felt nervous when him or Saha stood up to the spot.

Saha maybe but I always felt confident with Arteta on the spot. He always stepped up really cooly and slotted it into the back of the net, the only people I've been worried about is Saha and Andy Johnson, since then I think that Arteta, Baines and Jelavic have been good spot-kick takers.

Edit: Only just realised that Wigan vs. Arsenal is on Sky Sports so I could have been watching it.

Edit (2): Blatent penalty denied for Wigan, handball from Gibbs from a Jordi Gomez shot.

Edit (3): ANOTHER! This one was a bit dubious but Wigan could have had two penalties in two minutes (both from Jordi Gomez shots).

Edited by Zoo

More focused on Champions League glory than domestic matters ?

Even Barcelona had a bigger upset than that recently in the League, but can't quite remember who the opposition was. But as always, with any league,. anything can occur. It is, after all, 11 men against 11, that on the day, anything can happen. One eye on Cheltenham in a few weeks with this incidentally.

Not seen the incident but this seems a ridiculous statement from SAF....

"With the Van Persie situation, you can clearly see that he could have been killed."

"He should be banned for a long time because that was the most dangerous thing I've seen on a football field for many years."

"It was absolutely deliberate. The whistle has gone, the game has stopped and he has done that right in front of the referee, he could have killed the lad."

Rooney has a slightly different opinion....

"I think it's one of those things. The whistle's gone, the defender has gone to clear and it's hit him in the head. I think probably the right decision from the referee."

I can see both sides (not to the extent that van Persie could have been killed).

The lad went to clear the ball and hit van Persie on the back of the head, it could have been deliberate but it looked like he was just trying to get rid of the ball in all honesty, RVP acted angrily which I can understand given that he was on the floor and must have felt a painful force on the back of his head. The situation was handled well IMO and I think that Ferguson is taking things way over the top.

At least they (Aston Villa) won the European Cup with a bit of flair and determination, some will remember. And also won the League Championship in 1981 with having a good side that wasn't bought with rich owners and fucking splashing big money around.

Plastics got a result today, but it's not going to mean much at end of season for league honors. Won't be watching any highlights, needless to say