IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

According to someone on the radio Kane missed ten games last season and Spurs won nine of them (he must be absolute crap).

They don’t have a particularly difficult schedule through February, so maybe that will be the case again. Still, not a pretty sight with the shite sitting atop the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost a bit of FA cup magic in the early game. Accrington Stanley went down to 10 men in the second half but that spurred them and if anything you'd think they were the team with the extra man. Missed a good chance only for Derby to then counter and a score from the resulting corner. 10 man Accy still put up a fight coming close a couple of times and a Derby player took a red giving a fk on the edge of the box to prevent a 1 v 1, good save from the fk and then a few jumpy moments with Accy throwing the kitchen sink at them. 

Good match to start the day and more importantly I didn't have to redo my acca and cry about betting rule number one, never back the early kick off.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Almost a bit of FA cup magic in the early game. Accrington Stanley went down to 10 men in the second half but that spurred them and if anything you'd think they were the team with the extra man. Missed a good chance only for Derby to then counter and a score from the resulting corner. 10 man Accy still put up a fight coming close a couple of times and a Derby player took a red giving a fk on the edge of the box to prevent a 1 v 1, good save from the fk and then a few jumpy moments with Accy throwing the kitchen sink at them. 

Good match to start the day and more importantly I didn't have to redo my acca and cry about betting rule number one, never back the early kick off.

The Derby player with the assist was American Duane Holmes. How did he play?

On 27/01/2019 at 11:52, sibdane said:

Thanks. I'm not sure how he's doing but noticed that Lampard has said some good things about him and he's getting more playing time recently. I think he's been called up by the USA once or twice. 

Just peeped his twitter and he congratulated Murray Wallace on beating us. That’ll be a big no from me on his involvement in the national team.

2 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Just peeped his twitter and he congratulated Murray Wallace on beating us. That’ll be a big no from me on his involvement in the national team.

Aren't they old teammates? I won't begrudge him for that. He didn't say anything negative about Everton. Anyway, I don't think he's good enough for the national team (at least at the moment).

4 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Miguel Almiron to Newcastle for a reported 21M. He has been excellent in MLS/Atlanta the last couple of years, so I'm curious to see how he does in the PL.

yeah and DC united sold acosta to PSG!!!! to replace neymar short term.  they are complying with FFP with that move, dude on the real cheap!

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah and DC united sold acosta to PSG!!!! to replace neymar short term.  they are complying with FFP with that move, dude on the real cheap!

Whoa... I didn't see that. He's a decent player too but surprised that it's PSG who have bought him.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This window has been a massive change from the norm. You would have never expected a team like Spurs to make no signings in back to back windows. 

i think a lot of it is a result of the hyper inflation.  to be honest i think us and spurs made the right decisions.  likely there wasn't a player for either of us that would have won the league (spurs) or gotten CL (us).  it takes more than just 1 player, put Messi on Cardiff and it's not like they are gonna be 3rd in the table.  I don't know that I saw City do anything big either, or United, or Arsenal.  Just Chelsea with Higuain really.

Let's hope sensibility reigns and the prices start coming back to earth.

41 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think a lot of it is a result of the hyper inflation.  to be honest i think us and spurs made the right decisions.  likely there wasn't a player for either of us that would have won the league (spurs) or gotten CL (us).  it takes more than just 1 player, put Messi on Cardiff and it's not like they are gonna be 3rd in the table.  I don't know that I saw City do anything big either, or United, or Arsenal.  Just Chelsea with Higuain really.

Let's hope sensibility reigns and the prices start coming back to earth.

Yeh its quiet everywhere. Chelsea did also sign Pulisic so they spent a fair bit with Morata going the other way. I think Arsenal got Suarez on loan and City signed a cheap youngster but I think thats it. Even the teams further down the pecking order havent done much business. Its definitely the quietest window I have seen.

I’m in a box at Wembley tomorrow for the Spurs Newcastle game guest of one of my suppliers, I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve told their rep I’m an Everton supporter who was born in Newcastle. 

Never mind I’ll still enjoy seeing the Geordie’s beat Spurs Toon army. 

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not wishing to come across as uncaring and obviously it's a tragic situation but something occurred to me today, will Cardiff still have to pay Nantes £15m for Emiliano Sala?

Had a similar thought but didn't know how to word it without sounding insensitive. 

Cardiff will get an insurance payment but it won't cover the full transfer fee. 

29 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Had a similar thought but didn't know how to word it without sounding insensitive. 

Cardiff will get an insurance payment but it won't cover the full transfer fee. 

'The hierarchy of the Premier League club have frozen payments to Nantes "for the time being", reports suggest.'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-citys-emiliano-sala-transfer-15736108

Anyone watching this City game?

The tactics from Pep are fascinating. I havent sussed specifically why but when defending he has Fernandino playing as a CB however when they have the ball he is playing alongside Gundogan in central midfield. Walker and Laporte playing as the full backs sit in as wide CBs. I can only think it is to stop the counter attack and try to maintain possession but its not something I have seen before from Pep or generally.

Considering they are playing Arsenal that takes some balls.