IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Is it just me that was annoyed that Townsend said, "Yes!" with obvious glee when Chelsea scored?

Not what a commentator's there for is it?

What's wrong with that? He's showing passion, that's what I want in a commentator. Not some robot sitting behind a microphone.

He's British and is supporting the British team. I don't really see what the problem is.

So if a Manchester United fan was doing the Match of the Day commentary when we were playing them and celebrated their goals and sulked when we did that'd be OK?

Commentators are supposed to describe the action, not express their personal allegiances.

Townsend played for Chelsea.

Why wouldn't he be happy?

He's can be happy privately.

You'd be OK with Hanson and Lawrenson celebrating a derby win on MOTD?

It's unprofessional, simple as. Don't see how anyone can't see thatdont%20know.gif.

He's can be happy privately.

You'd be OK with Hanson and Lawrenson celebrating a derby win on MOTD?

It's unprofessional, simple as. Don't see how anyone can't see thatdont%20know.gif.

Are you suggesting an English team v a Portuguese team, on English tv, should have a neutral commentator? rofl.gif

Are you suggesting an English team v a Portuguese team, on English tv, should have a neutral commentator? rofl.gif

Exactly my point ^.

It's England vs. Portugal - I don't understand why he shouldn't show passion towards the English team.

Exactly my point ^.

It's England vs. Portugal - I don't understand why he shouldn't show passion towards the English team.

It's not England v Portugal, it's Chelsea v Benfica, and ITV should be aware that vast amounts of English people will be supporting Benfica.

And (answering Avin as well) I'm not suggesting neutral commentary, just balanced commentary.

And both of you have conveniently ignored the Everton MOTD questionrolleyes.gif .

It's not England v Portugal, it's Chelsea v Benfica, and ITV should be aware that vast amounts of English people will be supporting Benfica.

And (answering Avin as well) I'm not suggesting neutral commentary, just balanced commentary.

And both of you have conveniently ignored the Everton MOTD questionrolleyes.gif .

Hanson and Lawrenson are not commentators. 67.gif

If it was Everton v Liverpool then I'd agree with you as they are both English teams.

I don't understand you're point about saying that the vast amount of people will be supporting Benfica either. I think the vast majority will be supporting Chelsea as they are the English team.

I don't understand you're point about saying that the vast amount of people will be supporting Benfica either. I think the vast majority will be supporting Chelsea as they are the English team.

I didn't say the vast amount of people....you're misquoting me. Have you considered a career in journalismtongue.png?

I said vast amounts of people, which is true I think. Bailey, me and DK v you, Avin and Mark on here makes it 50/50....extend that over the football supporters of the country and you'll get a lot of English Benfica fans tonight!

I didn't say the vast amount of people....you're misquoting me. Have you considered a career in journalismtongue.png?

I said vast amounts of people, which is true I think. Bailey, me and DK v you, Avin and Mark on here makes it 50/50....extend that over the football supporters of the country and you'll get a lot of English Benfica fans tonight!

Portuguese people are surprisingly uninterested in football. There were probably more people in England wanting Benfica to win than there were in Portugal, but that probably says more about the bitter fans in our country than anything else.

However, I would support 'any' English team in European competition, even the horrid bastards from across the park.

Portuguese people are surprisingly uninterested in football. There were probably more people in England wanting Benfica to win than there were in Portugal, but that probably says more about the bitter fans in our country than anything else.

Porto, Benfica & Sporting have a huge following but the rest have next to no fans. It's like being at Wigan Athletic's ground ever year (and apparently even the likes of Porto never have a sell-out unless its an important game).

Porto, Benfica & Sporting have a huge following but the rest have next to no fans. It's like being at Wigan Athletic's ground ever year (and apparently even the likes of Porto never have a sell-out unless its an important game).

I watched a few matches in Portugal last week, and the crowds were very low.

I could actually watch one of the games from my balcony lol.

P1010143_zpse81661af.jpg

However, I would support 'any' English team in European competition, even the horrid bastards from across the park.

Really? I'd say it's pretty much the same as in the UK from my experience. I wanted Benfica to win like I do any Portuguese team in Europe btw. Actually, scratch that. My Portuguese team's rivals qualified for Europe this season and I wanted them to lose. But other than them I like other teams Portuguese to do well.

Beira-Mar average around 3000 people for a top flight game. Play Benfica at home and there's 30000 there suddenly rolleyes.gif

No one else from among my friends supports the team from our city as a first team other than myself, it's shocking really. Everyone supports Benfica, Sporting or Porto and then a local side.