IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Why do you (Zoo) loathe Wigan Athletic, never done you any harm. Fail to see the animosity there.

When was the last time a team won the FA cup and were relegated from the first flight of domestic soccer, I should know, but been a long day thus far and can't even recall. What a strange few days for all involved there though. FA cup winners one moment, next thing, a relegation to the championship league. Have to feel a bit of sympathy. And to all those who wanted Martinez as next EFC manager, lo and behold the team suffered a relegation last night. Do you still want the man to take over from Moyes. Hmm some would argue..

I got no animosity towards Martinez or Wigan Athletic, and say what you like, but it's been one damn strange season for all involved at the club in question.

Got to add, sincerely hope 100 per cent that Benfica give the plastics a sound beating this evening - or just win - but you know damn well what's going to fucking happen. All a bit indifferent to the Uefa / Europa League anyway, so if the snides do manage it, it won't be as hard to take as last seasons champions league "win". Guess most eyes will be on the two german big hitters in a week or two hopefully, and the proper main event.

Why do you (Zoo) loathe Wigan Athletic, never done you any harm. Fail to see the animosity there.

When was the last time a team won the FA cup and were relegated from the first flight of domestic soccer, I should know, but been a long day thus far and can't even recall. What a strange few days for all involved there though. FA cup winners one moment, next thing, a relegation to the championship league. Have to feel a bit of sympathy. And to all those who wanted Martinez as next EFC manager, lo and behold the team suffered a relegation last night. Do you still want the man to take over from Moyes. Hmm some would argue..

I got no animosity towards Martinez or Wigan Athletic, and say what you like, but it's been one damn strange season for all involved at the club in question.

Got to add, sincerely hope 100 per cent that Benfica give the plastics a sound beating this evening - or just win - but you know damn well what's going to fucking happen. All a bit indifferent to the Uefa / Europa League anyway, so if the snides do manage it, it won't be as hard to take as last seasons champions league "win". Guess most eyes will be on the two german big hitters in a week or two hopefully, and the proper main event.

Wasn't it Portsmouth ?

Can you believe they're now in the 4th division ?

Weren't relegated the year they won.

Pretty sure nobody's ever won it and gone down, though losing finalists have.

Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Brighton, Leicester City and Manchester City have been relegated Cup finalists – but Wigan Athletic are the first winners to go down

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/15/wigan-athletic-relegated-fa-cup-finalists

Weren't relegated the year they won.

Pretty sure nobody's ever won it and gone down, though losing finalists have.

I think that could be the one reason why I can't recall it.

Yes teams such as Brighton Hove Albion, and Middlesbrough for example, made the final in recent years and were relegated, but didn't win of course.

Yes, the above link confirms it. Didn't see that.

So after finals since 1872, it takes until now for a club to be winners and suffer a drop out of the top division. Quite an interesting statistic actually

Their supporters are ignorant, deluded, inbred pricks for starters and their chairman is one of the biggest bellends I've ever come across. Everyone has teams that they love to hate (you for example loathe Chelsea whilst I don't really care what they do).

It's football.

yeah, braved the half-time news and it's still goalless in Amsterdam after 45 minutes and the Portugese should have been in front, and that sounds ominous as you feel the snides may now take the initiative and go on to win, which sincerely hope does not occur. As stated and well documented, a club side I have little time for.

As you may or may not be aware, today was also the date (in 1985) we won a european trophy in Holland, and I sure don't want that nasty snide club to emulate what we did tonight on similar territory all these years later.

Not going to listen to the second half and needless to say, aren't watching any damn live action, so just going to let everything fall as it may and hope Benfica continue to press and get that victory. At least the plastics won't be making an embarrassment of the champions league final this time around, so if the worse happens and they manage a victory in this competition (probably in the same manner they won the fucking trophy last year) then it's not so bad, but make no mistake about it, a club side I genuinely don't think much of, and would be real pleased if the Portugese can do this. But not feeling very confident right now.

If ,or when, they do win, they can add it to their long list of honors and rich history before 1997....

Hope it goes extra time and pens now....then their plane breaks down on the way home and they have to sleep for six hours on the floor at Schipol before getting a replacement that's just come back from the far east and is riddled with bird flu virus.

Perfect preparation for Sundaycool.png.

Unlucky pen but had to be given. You cant be jumping with your arms up there in the penalty box and expect to get away with it.

Been really impressed with the 2 centre midfielders for Benfica. Perez and Matic have bossed the Chelsea midfield. The former looks very useful especially when he goes forward.