IGNORED

Steven Nzonzi

Without wishing to infect this thread with the Gana virus, I believe we several defensive midfielders, two very good but in different levels form and two lesser defensive midfielders in McCarthy and Besic, plus an excellent prospect in Benji. To sign another defensive midfielder without first selling or arranging to sell at least 3 of them would be madness.

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

We only really have one DM in Schneiderlin. Is he really worth splashing £25m on? A proper box to box would be my priority. 

I'd say he's box to box tbh never sits back and shields a back four and is always on the front foot 

I see him as more of a Barkley type tbh making runs and linking play 

Bill I agree we need to shift some deadwood/poor signings but can we really wait until summer to do so before bringing in anyone else..... 

29 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

I'd say he's box to box tbh never sits back and shields a back four and is always on the front foot 

I see him as more of a Barkley type tbh making runs and linking play 

Bill I agree we need to shift some deadwood/poor signings but can we really wait until summer to do so before bringing in anyone else..... 

He’s more a deep laying playmaker than a box to box (he doesn’t move enough) or a DCM (he bottles out of challenges far too often). He needs space to distribute and runners to target. He’s not really had that and so comes across as useless. 

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Were so well overloaded we are having to play midfielders out on the wing, we need wingers, strikers, and defenders before anything else, how many bloody mids do you want to squeeze into the team. ??

We are overloaded everywhere apart from the back and up front, albeit not necessarily with lots of quality and that's the biggest problem, especially wide.

The first job this window is to get rid of the dead wood. 

Mirallas, Besic need to find new clubs. The majority of Klaasen, Sandro, Lookman, Vlasic, McCarthy, Beni need to go away on loan and prove themselves in one way or another.

In the midfield this leaves you with Gana and Schneiderlin deep, Rooney, Davies and potentially Siggy as the central ball players. You have Lennon and Siggy as the wider players with DCL offering an option. I wouldn't consider Lennon as a long term option for us as it' not likely he is that good.

That is actually pretty crap when you consider that we were expected to throw down a big challenge to the top 6. 

Personally I would keep hold of Vlasic and Klaasen out of the 6 I listed. Klaasen can do a bit of everything centrally and Vlasic can be played wide or off the striker. I also think he would create the most chances of all wide players we have. 

We need a new striker,  a new LB, a physical creative central midfielder and a pacey wide playee in the mould of Lennon, just better. We wouldnt get him but we should be making enquiries for Zaha.

i agree we are overloaded with midfielders and do not have any natural wide options that will actually run at you (Bolasie lets see how he returns, Lennon yes - functional but limited, Mirallas needs to go, Vlasic/lookman need to go on loan)  and shift out some of the central fringe players to make room Besic etc.

I would like to keep Klaasen as i think long term he can do what Rooney is doing for us.

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree with most of that, except I think Vlasic needs a run of games. I've got a really good feeling about the lad, just needs some game time

I agree. The runs he makes are electric. We literally have no one else in the squad who runs like him at that pace. The ball just sticks to his feet.

45 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

I agree. The runs he makes are electric. We literally have no one else in the squad who runs like him at that pace. The ball just sticks to his feet.

I think Lookman has that potential to be very very good, he can also beat his man and has good ball control. I think Vlasic needs a run in the side for sure, and Lookman needs more game time. 

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I think Lookman has that potential to be very very good, he can also beat his man and has good ball control. I think Vlasic needs a run in the side for sure, and Lookman needs more game time. 

Lookman definitely has potential. I see Vlasic as more of a game changer at the moment, but Lookman can run with ball at his feet also.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Would you not take N’Zonzi then?

What gave it away?

Shit for Blackburn. Shit for Stoke. Decent in a league where he’s given time on the ball. Don’t think that’s a coincidence myself. 

Also its going to be dead hard for him to even get on the ball as it goes sailing over his head as well. 

33 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What gave it away?

Shit for Blackburn. Shit for Stoke. Decent in a league where he’s given time on the ball. Don’t think that’s a coincidence myself. 

Also its going to be dead hard for him to even get on the ball as it goes sailing over his head as well. 

That made me chuckle, but in that sad if I don't laugh I will cry way.

22 minutes ago, Makis said:

I’m just wondering where you base your opinion he was shit at those clubs?

I must say, I don't remember him being any good. Although this article is interesting... basically playing under Allardyce and Pulis didnt play to his strengths!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/21/stoke-sevilla-steven-nzonzi-champions-league-leicester&ved=2ahUKEwjgxMiuwd3YAhUMblAKHSIEAMoQFjAcegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw1v5cbq6k9ir1xAEkArkUcN&ampcf=1

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because he was a slightly better smelling shit than the other shit at those shit clubs doesn’t change that he was shit. 

I think what you want to say is "I have no fucking clue how good or bad he was but I just don't like his name or something so he must be shit."