IGNORED

Robert Elstone at the "Global Entrepreneurship Congress"

Louis

Robert Elstone spoke recently at a business forum.

Stadium

“Chelsea FC recently did some work about the challenge of redeveloping and staying at Stamford Bridge, and it said their capacity would go down.”

He said the London club had been told it would be hugely complex and also cost £600m.

“There are similar problems to rebuilding Goodison.

“The only sensible option is land acquisition. I genuinely believe that the redevelopment of Goodison is not a realistic option.”

He said ideas to redevelop the Park End would still leave the other three sides of the stadium in desperate need of updating.

“We have to look for a new site and use the Kirkby funding model which involved 40% to 45% of the capital cost coming from retail uplift subsidy.

“I don’t think there are a shortage of sites, I believe there is a shortage of funding.

“I think our optimum capacity is around 50,000, which generates an extra £5m [a year]. That means its tight, it needs a great naming rights deal or subsidy, or probably both.”

39th game

Robert Elstone: “I would welcome it, because I think the Premier League has to be bold and innovative and push the boundaries.

“Having said that I would feel uncomfortable if it were tacked on the end of the season and was worth three points.

“I think it will not happen because of the context in which it fits in the calendar”

Commercial revenues

Robert Elstone: “I don’t think we are on the same level of opportunity as Liverpool.

“I hope that does not come across as a lack of ambition, or means that we are shortsighted in any way.

“We have a fantastic relationship with Chang and we are about to announce an interesting project in China which is commercially very lucrative for us.

“I think a big focus at the moment is exporting our know how on an international basis – development of talented elite footballers and secondly our community engagement programmes.

“For me the development of the international fan base feels a big challenge that will need a lot of time, a lot of resource and patience.

“My part is re-engaging the local community putting bums on seats in Goodison Park.

“If that comes across as being myopic, my apologies.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/03/16/liverpool-fc-and-everton-fc-chiefs-ian-ayre-and-robert-elstone-reveal-thoughts-on-future-of-both-clubs-100252-30548720/

I never wanted to move away from Goodison, it is after all, synonymous with Everton Football Club, recognized by most, even who don't necessarily share an interest in soccer. Obviously when the option to stay at one's home becomes no longer viable and for the future prosperity of a club changes need to be made in terms of venue for progression, as we have seen so many times before we have to accept and go with it, but for now, and whether anyone wants to agree or disagree playing at Goodison as always is just as it should be, but realize changes may happen eventually