IGNORED

Moyes on Villareal draw

Louis

http://www1.skysport...t-balls-cost-us

I find the way that Sky have spun it as a bit embarrassing..we had not played in Europe since the 95/96 season so had a low coefficient. Although Moyes commenting on his thoughts on UEFA seems a bit odd. In hindsight, we were lucky to be involved and if the same scenario occurs, we'd go into the UEFA Cup because the rules were rewritten shortly afterwards so that the winner qualifies for the Champions League.

"Everyone knows the previous season Liverpool had won the European Cup so deep down I didn't think they (UEFA) wanted five British teams in the group stages.

"I am sure they were all delighted when we were knocked out."

I'm not sure what Moyes is complaining about, everyone knows that respective draws made now are random, fair, honest and impartial dry.png

And Liverpool did not win that final, Milan lost it, pure and simple

UEFA or other soccer organizations merely change the formats and qualification rules, layouts etc, from time to time. Changes are made frequently

Collina at the time was probably the most high profile match official and most fair and impartial some would go as far to say, and even the best make mistakes, only he knows why he did what he did

I'm not buying into the fact that anyone was 'delighted' when we were eliminated as Moyes put it, give or take a handful of Anfield snides

Pleasing to see some other responses where individuals vehemently state that certain draws are questionable and soccer at the top is corrupted or suspect

'

No chicken litter..

I'm not sure what Moyes is complaining about, everyone knows that respective draws made now are random, fair, honest and impartial dry.png

And Liverpool did not win that final, Milan lost it, pure and simple

UEFA or other soccer organizations merely change the formats and qualification rules, layouts etc, from time to time. Changes are made frequently

Collina at the time was probably the most high profile match official and most fair and impartial some would go as far to say, and even the best make mistakes, only he knows why he did what he did

I'm not buying into the fact that anyone was 'delighted' when we were eliminated as Moyes put it, give or take a handful of Anfield snides

Pleasing to see some other responses where individuals vehemently state that certain draws are questionable and soccer at the top is corrupted or suspect

'

No chicken litter..

.. and retired swiftly after it

I don't think Collina went out with the intention that night to deliberately screw Toffees or do a favor for anyone, i.e. took no pay offs from anyone to intentionally eliminate us. There have been blatant examples of this, such as the Dundee United/ AS Roma tie from '84 or Anderlecht vs Nottingham Forest the season before, but I do feel with the evening in question, there was nothing suspect. Until we can see some tangible evidence, if ever a thing comes to light, I will be first to admit being wrong and be content with it, but until then I really don't think there was any mailce involved,and furthermore Collina had most likely decided to retire some time before the event. I do remember calling him some (very) colorful names the night of game when Duncan had his goal ruled out. I don't know if we'll ever get the whole truth of the incident, one can only make assumptions

There was no sign at all of a foul, nothing he could have seen to remotely think there had been a foul. Never seen a goal ruled out in similar fashion by any other refs either, so its hard to say it was a ref mistake either. He cheated us(along with the rest of Uefa). SSN replayed it for weeks which was torturemad.gif

Guest blueboy122

What made that night in Spain even more sinister was the fact that Collina came out of retirement to referee the game and then went straight back into retirement after the game. Why would the best referee the world has ever seen come out of retirement to referee a qualifier for the champions league......

Well I don't have a dossier on Collina. I wasn't aware he came out of retirement to officiate the game, thought he was still active at the time

I'll bet the bald headed old coot's ears are burning but I still insist there was nothing questionable about the night in question. All I know is we got one of the worlds best referees that night and he let himself down with a glaring error. I can't believe he would intentionally fuck the team over like some make out

He's no red shite put it that way, probably favors Juventus or Inter or something

They should have given him the 2006 World Cup Final in Berlin at the end of the season, and see how he played that, even if out of curiosity sakes

If (for arguments sake) Italy had been awarded like 12 penalties and the French 6 disallowed goals and Collina seen fucking Sophia Loren outside the stadium and calling Charles De Gaulle and Eric Cantona slags before the match then maybe we could question his abilities but until then, judgment is pending..

Guest blueboy122

Well I don't have a dossier on Collina.

Don't you, you should have been sent one in the post when you joined toffeetalk. We have all got Dossiers on collina, did'nt you know. You can borrow mine or you can have my notes of the dossier.

I thought that the popular theory was that UEFA didn't want 5 English teams in the tournament but they did want the holders in, so they paid off Colina to come out of retirement for one game and try and ensure Everton didn't get through.

I don't think anyone ever suggested that UEFA/Colina don't like Everton so that's why they did it, I thought it was just, we don't want a 5th English side.

It was a tragic decision though and it fucked us out of a chance in extra time, but whichever way you look at it, we still probably would have been underdogs in extra time, and almost certainly would have lost had it gone to penalties.

I thought that the popular theory was that UEFA didn't want 5 English teams in the tournament but they did want the holders in, so they paid off Colina to come out of retirement for one game and try and ensure Everton didn't get through.

I don't think anyone ever suggested that UEFA/Colina don't like Everton so that's why they did it, I thought it was just, we don't want a 5th English side.

It was a tragic decision though and it fucked us out of a chance in extra time, but whichever way you look at it, we still probably would have been underdogs in extra time, and almost certainly would have lost had it gone to penalties.

Doubt that we had so much momentum up till Collina robbed us and deflated the team. Even Forlan admitted there heads were down and were getting steam rolled by us.