IGNORED

Howard Kendall Parts II and III and my retrospective doubts

I think this will do for today but I was just thinking about when Kendall came back for his second and third spells as manager in that was it really a good idea, I mean Colin Harvey did not too bad when Kendall left for Bilbao in '87 and I know the great team of the time slowly disintegrated thereafter and I remember when Howard came back second time around in late 1990 I was initially excited but it never really worked out for him again, not that he could have repeated the success of before but of the three or so years he had second time around we didn't get up to much, there was the derby games in the FA cup but even then Howard was unable to navigate past a trip to second division West Ham in the last eight and at the end of season we were on the wrong end of a Zenith Cup Final embarrassment to Crystal Palace, who were albeit, a very good team of the time. I was wondering if anyone else who would have been available at the time of appointment could have set us on a different course. I know Kendall loves the club and fans greatly appreciate for all that he did but soccer is a results business and hearts must not rule heads and I was thinking just now was he really appropriate in retrospect.

Same as with 1997 when he left Sheffield United to come back, I remember that summer well, (Andy) Gray was talked about for weeks about being new manager after Royle left but he decided to stay with Sky Sports and turned down the opportunity to become club manager, I would have been interested to know what he could have put together. Kendall Part III only lasted for one season and we left it until the 11th hour to escape relegation on the last day when we should really have been in a safe position some time before it, Kendall said after the Coventry game 'so long as I am manager, this will never happen again'. How right he was, for soon after, he departed and Walter Smith came in and that was a major disappointment too. It kind of reminded me when Keegan went back to Newcastle after doing great initially as manager, there was a fanfare of hype and it all went sour, there has been other examples of this too. It's too late now to alter or change anything but I was thinking about was it the right choice for Kendall to accept the job second or third time around. Said it before he knew and we knew that he would never be able to duplicate the success of before but maybe the club could have looked elsewhere after the departures of Harvey and Royle.

1991-93 were very blank episodes in Everton history and 1997-98 nearly got us relegated with Kendall back, I know he's Everton to the core but I strongly feel thinking about it we could have brought in an alternative, but then again before Kendall came back for a third time that summer no-one seemed to even want the vacant position when Dave Watson was caretaker manager, just saying I don't really feel in hindsight Mr Kendall was the right choice to ever return through the Goodison doors.

I think that's all unsure.png