IGNORED

Contracts - players in final year - not good reading

Avinalaff

We have quite a lot of players in the final year of their contract if my research is correct, and quite a few who will be in their final year next season.

I know we have plenty to be concerned about, but given that Everton's track record of sorting out contracts has been pretty dire recently, is it a problem?

Here is a list of contracts from our current squad:

When you look at our squad, we really are in need of new faces. It's a very bad situation. mellow.png

I Dont think its as bad as you make it out to be, most of the players highlighted are the wrong side of 30, so will naturally only get 1 year extensions anyway, 2 if their lucky (Neville, Saha, Distin). And i'm not sure Barkley has even signed a Professional contract yet and is currently still on youth terms? which i think have a 2-3 year limit on the contracts anyway, Dont quote me on that, but i think thats the case, so i'm not overly worried about that. As for Mcfadden and Hahneman, their squad fillers at best and i cant really see them being a loss if they were to go, though i do hope we can get a small fee for Mucha, and then Hahneman could come in as number 2. Then you've got Billy, who may aswell leave for nothing, because i cant see anyone paying a fee. And as for the youngsters, they will be offered contract's if Moyes deems them good enough, and if not they will probably fade into League 1 obscurity. Although i really hope Duffy and Baxter make it.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

No worries mate - wonder how much of the £10m we will use from arteta???

My concern too ,especially as Bill said it was too late for Moyes to spend it when Arteta left. How much of it has been dwindled away by this and that.Don't forget though, he wasn't the only player we sold ,so I would like to think we would have at least the Arty money.

Back on-topic , I do agree with GoodisonRoad , for once I'm going to be positive

Edited by Noble Savage

We have quite a lot of players in the final year of their contract if my research is correct, and quite a few who will be in their final year next season.

I know we have plenty to be concerned about, but given that Everton's track record of sorting out contracts has been pretty dire recently, is it a problem? - Track record has been quite good in my opinion = Baines, Jags, Rodwell, Felli, Coleman not the mention that the players we have brought in in recent years (Maggie, Vellios, Johnny....) all got 5 year deals. Going through the below:

Here is a list of contracts from our current squad:

When you look at our squad, we really are in need of new faces. It's a very bad situation. mellow.png

The core of the team and players who we need to keep to move forward are:

Felli

Baines

Barkley

Rodwell

Howard

Jags

Johnny

Vellios (in time)

That is 7 players IMO, pretty scary when that means we are 4 players short of a first 11 that would take the club forward, the likes of osman is a bench player i'm afraid.

The core of the team and players who we need to keep to move forward are:

Felli

Baines

Barkley

Rodwell

Howard

Jags

Johnny

Vellios (in time)

That is 7 players IMO, pretty scary when that means we are 4 players short of a first 11 that would take the club forward, the likes of osman is a bench player i'm afraid.

yeah, a bit scary but bare in mind that most of them are tied down for the next 3-5 years. Thats somewhat encouraging right? I'd stick Maggie in there too and Coleman, so that makes 9.

yeah, a bit scary but bare in mind that most of them are tied down for the next 3-5 years. Thats somewhat encouraging right? I'd stick Maggie in there too and Coleman, so that makes 9.

Agree, I think the problem is apart from the first namers (Baines, Felli, Howard, Jags, Rodders) we are looking at potential. We need 4-5 solid signings (a striker, right mid, left mid (if drenthe leaves) and right back)

Agree, I think the problem is apart from the first namers (Baines, Felli, Howard, Jags, Rodders) we are looking at potential. We need 4-5 solid signings (a striker, right mid, left mid (if drenthe leaves) and right back)

completely agree on the striker and RB but wings I think we have covered, or at least have players who can play there. But like you say most are potential and Moyes' tactics arent exactly going to let the potential flourish, not at the moment anyway.

at least id say, we have a basic core and not much else, a few potential youngsters, but we need at least 5 good quality players.

I'm concerned about the following points:

We already have the smallest squad in the league.

12 players will leave in the summer on a free unless they sign new contracts.

Given the fiasco regarding Gosling being able to walk, it makes me wonder if our club actually realise this, and if they do, what they are doing about it.

Barkley is still not tied down, and though we do have what I would class as 'key' players tied down, their numbers are few.

Some of the 'older' players are included in the 12, such as Saha, and Distin, but players such as Neville, Cahill, Osman, Hibbert, Mucha, Howard etc etc are not.

We don't have a squad of 25 players nominated this year. How many will we have next year?

..........................................................................................................................................

Have we allowed the contracts to run down because we are about to be taken over, and about to fill the squad with a billion worth of talent? huh.png

Barkley is nothing too worry about, he was offered the maximum length contract available to under 18s.

Incidentally, he turned 18 today.

id have thought it was quite the opposite tbh Louis, he can't be happy sitting on his arse week in, week out, and he knows the top clubs in the land are after him, Moyes needs to play this very carefully imo.

My lack of enthusiasm isn't anything to do with his ability tbh, it's more about the fact that this is about the only positive news coming out of Everton sad.png.

I hope we hear about Barkley signing a long term deal soon.

When does he turn 18? Or has he turned 18? I expect it to be pretty soon after then. I'm hoping the reason he hasn't played is because of the contract. Because we know he's that good, DM isn't playing him incase someone comes in for him and pays sod all, in comparison to his ability.

When does he turn 18? Or has he turned 18? I expect it to be pretty soon after then. I'm hoping the reason he hasn't played is because of the contract. Because we know he's that good, DM isn't playing him incase someone comes in for him and pays sod all, in comparison to his ability.

He turned 18 yesterday didn't he?