IGNORED

Football Trivia Question of the Day

Bill

Yes, Robbie Keane (Spurs 4-3 Everton 12th Jan 2003, Spurs 5–2 Wolves 6th Dec 2003, Spurs 5 - 0 Burnley 26th Sep 2009)

and Leon Best (Newcastle 5–0 West Ham United 5th Jan 2011).

Saturday 31st March 2012:

When did the tradition of placing the winner's ribbons on the FA Cup start?

I was talking about this very thing yesterday with some friends. So it is easy enough (they all are if you know the answers) So I will check to see if I am right?

1901 FA Cup Final, replay. Spurs versus one of the Sheffield teams. ( I think one of the players wives tied her ribbon on the cup or something?)

If you had asked me on Thursday I have to admit I wouldn't have had a clue.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about this very thing yesterday with some friends. So it is easy enough (they all are if you know the answers) So I will check to see if I am right?

1901 FA Cup Final, replay. Spurs versus one of the Sheffield teams. ( I think one of the players wives tied her ribbon on the cup or something?)

If you had asked me on Thursday I have to admit I wouldn't have had a clue.

Yes, the 1901 FA Cup Final Replay when Tottenham Hotspur of the Southern League beat Sheffield United 3-1. The ribbons were tied to the FA Cup by the wife of the Spurs Director Morton Cadman and the tradition has continued until today.

Sunday 1st April 2012:

What was Upton Park FC's main claim to footballing fame?

No idea (apart from being sure it was nothing to do with West Ham) so I looked it up....very interesting.

Two or three claims to fame really, though I know which one you wantsmile.png .

Upton Park FC (no connection to West Ham United) represented Great Britain in the 1900 Olympic Games in Paris and won the competition.

A Gold Medal was later awarded. They were also one of the original 15 clubs who participated in the first FA Cup in season 1871-72.

Olympic Football Tournaments 1900-2012 Progress Chart

Monday 2nd April 2012:

Which two players were sent off in UEFA Champions League Finals?

I don't feel the need to start a new discussion on the basis of a new question, I think what we have here is sufficient enough.

I only initially asked as this Spurs person is always asking questions, and I just though 'how about we let some other guys have a go etc'. It's more than one a day too. Just pointing out, no harm done etc.

Jans lehmann for arsenal and drogba for Chelski

Spot-on!

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, 2006 Final v Barcelona) and Didier Drogba (Chelsea, 2008 Final v Manchester United).

Both players were on the losing team.

Tuesday 3rd April 2012:

Who was the only non-British footballer to receive a Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II?

Spot-on!

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, 2006 Final v Barcelona) and Didier Drogba (Chelsea, 2008 Final v Manchester United).

Both players were on the losing team.

Tuesday 3rd April 2012:

Who was the only non-British footballer to receive a Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II?

Pele

I would have said Bert Trautman actually.

Maybe Maradona should have got an honor too as some people genuinely believe he was an all round better player than Pele.

Take note that the Queen hands out these titles and accolades like candy bars now so anyone can get a bit of recognition.

Maybe Maradona should have got an honor too as some people genuinely believe he was an all round better player than Pele.

Wouldn't have just been for ability though would it....would have been for "services to the game".

Pele....Supreme gentleman/sporting genius/universally respected during and after his career.

Maradonna...cheating drug using megalomaniac cunt who could play a bit.

Yes, of course Mr Pele was whiter than white wasn't he during his professional career.

I was mentioning Maradona strictly in a sense of skill and all round ability, I saw him play live and at his absolute best, I don't think anyone could come near in terms of all round awareness and his sheer technical attributes, the man was immense.

Opinions may be swayed in favor of the Falklands anniversary and all this week but the man for me, wins this 'greatest player', contest, if we can overlook his cocaine addicition, unfair gamesmanship on occasion and stroppy outbursts. Pele himself was no epitome of 'everything that is right with soccer' and I prefer to remember the Argentinian for what I consider 'Best player ever' or at least what he could produce on a field of play.

Wouldn't have just been for ability though would it....would have been for "services to the game".

Pele....Supreme gentleman/sporting genius/universally respected during and after his career.

Maradonna...cheating drug using megalomaniac cunt who could play a bit.

Thoughts on Cruyff?

As I weren't around for any of them. From what I've seen he stands out for me. Also Zico looked better than Pele in the games I've watched. Or have I just not seen enough?

Who scored Bolton Wanderers' only Premier League hat-trick to date?

My Dad says that it's a fella' called Bobic from Germany. I personally would have gone for either Jay-Jay Okocha (he was quite good in his time) or Nicholas Anelka. But I'm guessing that my Dad's right considering how confident he is.

who the fuck is bobic?? i tip my hat to your dad if he's right!

I must admit I've never heard of him but when I asked him that question he came back with a dude called Bobic from Germany.

Was in the same room too I might add, he's not Google'd :)