IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Like the signing of Danny Drinkwater in the summer this is merely to bump up the numbers to fill Chelsea's ''home-grown'' quota. He's not going to break into their first-team and after 18 months of being bored and crying will link back up with David Moyes at West Ham (you heard it here first). 

I'm not really arsed in a way, I think he's always been given a free-ride because of the fact that he's come from the Academy. If he'd been signed from some Dutch club he would have been shipped out years ago. Despite having some potential and popping up some some magic every now and then he's 24 now and hasn't exactly set the world alight. If he thinks that he's going to join a Champions League club and stand shoulder to shoulder with Eden Hazard and Alvaro Morata then he's more deluded than Garth Crooks after a crate of Absinthe. 

I normally wish our ex-players well but I hope Ross falls flat on his arse. I understand that he wants to move to try and further his career but backing out of a Chelsea transfer at the eleventh hour to then sit on our injury table for six months and then move to Chelsea anyway is just as sly as it comes. He's no better than Fabian Delph committing his future to Aston Villa and declaring his love for them as captain only to turn around and leave 48 hours later. 

You won't be missed Ross, the next Lampard my arse.

3 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

It wouldn't be so bad if he'd had turned down Chelsea and then gone to Spurs, but he's genuinely done this to make more money for himself and less for Everton.

It's totally spineless. Hopefully this changes the illusion that Koeman fell out with him and proves that Ross was being an arse from the start. He's had this planned for months (even years) and had no intentions of ever playing for us again. 

2 hours ago, Swarzy said:

Gonna repeatedly watch that video of him getting flopped in town to cheer myself up :)

:lol:.

9 hours ago, Peter H said:

I see Ross ending up at west ham, [...] within 2 years.

5 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He's not going to break into their first-team and after 18 months of being bored and crying will link back up with David Moyes at West Ham (you heard it here first).

Or from me 4 hours before your post ;) 

I dont generally have a problem with players running down their contract and making the best decision for their careers, as clubs do exactly the same thing to players just as often but this lad was meant to be an Everton fan who had the potential to be our star players for years and years. Yes he can win things at other clubs a lot easier but what is that worth when you can win something with your boyhood club? I couldn't imagine anything worse than leaving Everton and watching them win silverware without me.  That is what I can't get my head around.

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm very sorry to see Ross go and wish him all the very best in his continuing career. He brought us some great moments, and I'd prefer to remember them than the shambles surrounding his transfer.

Ive always been a huge Barkley fan and supported the lad through thick and thin. But he can get to fuck with the greedy twatish way he's played this out.

Badly advised and unnecessarily greedy. Fuck the good memories - he's tarnished them. 

Worst part for me is the amount of time and effort he's cost the club but not returned. We could have and should have played someone else instead of him but invested the time on the pitch to make him a better player. Yet just as we should be seeing the returns on that time/investment he's fucking off, for buttons. No morals, not my kinda person. Can't blame bad advice, he's 24 and sat in the sidelines through injury enough to appreciate the game. I'm sure Rooney and Jeffers would've spoke to him too. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Might I point out that we still have no idea what really happened and haven't from the beginning? I shall reserve judgment until we hear his side of the story. Again, I wish him well.

He walked away from the deal in September with Everton having agreed a £30m sale..... he then joins the same club for £20m less having ran a further 3 months of his contract down. 

Maybe he was told that he would get more money if he left in January as Chelsea woukdvsave on the fee..... just a thought. Either way he's cost the club big time. 

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

Either way he's cost the club big time. 

I don't get this and I'm happy for people to try and convince me I'm wrong, be it ethically or morally.

Removing emotion from the argument, the way I see it; a player signs a contract with a club and there is an exchange of their footballing services for money for a determined amount of time. There is no obligation on the part of the player or the club to sign a new contract at its expiry. 

Maybe its because I manage contracts for a living I only see them as a set of obligations and entitlements, I never think I'm entitled/obligated to something that is not documented.

Its seems that because he's "worth something" (unlike other players who left on frees with no one batting an eyelid) some people seem to feel we as a club are entitled to some of that value.

Yes, we developed him but we did that because developing players is cheaper than buying them when you get it right, so it's a symbiotic relationship.

So why would a player sign a new contract (to retain value for the club) if they had predetermined they were leaving and with the knowledge that it would reduce their ability to maximise their renumeration in their next contract?

30 minutes ago, Chach said:

I don't get this and I'm happy for people to try and convince me I'm wrong, be it ethically or morally.

Removing emotion from the argument, the way I see it; a player signs a contract with a club and there is an exchange of their footballing services for money for a determined amount of time. There is no obligation on the part of the player or the club to sign a new contract at its expiry. 

Maybe its because I manage contracts for a living I only see them as a set of obligations and entitlements, I never think I'm entitled/obligated to something that is not documented.

Its seems that because he's "worth something" (unlike other players who left on frees with no one batting an eyelid) some people seem to feel we as a club are entitled to some of that value.

Yes, we developed him but we did that because developing players is cheaper than buying them when you get it right, so it's a symbiotic relationship.

So why would a player sign a new contract (to retain value for the club) if they had predetermined they were leaving and with the knowledge that it would reduce their ability to maximise their renumeration in their next contract?

He  refused to go to >Celsea in the summer, he hung on until now to ensure the club could not expect a decent cash amount.  He could have signed a new contract and still left this window for a higher sum,  if he was really a toffee, why did he not do either?  This cost the club his training and wages.

37 minutes ago, Chach said:

Simply put..... our club has looked after him like a baby since he was 11 years old.  His talent and our nurturing has made him a multi millionaire.

He should have gone in September when his value was £30m.  Morally what he has done is wrong. He's cost the club. 

10 minutes ago, rubecula said:

He could have signed a new contract and still left this window for a higher sum,  if he was really a toffee, why did he not do either.

I addressed this though, if he signed a new contract then that would reduce his ability to maximise his remuneration in his next contract.

If thats your position, how much money should he have taken less in wages/signing on in  order for the club to make a bigger return? Where do you strike the balance?

6 minutes ago, hafnia said:

1.) Simply put..... our club has looked after him like a baby since he was 11 years old.  His talent and our nurturing has made him a multi millionaire.

2.) He should have gone in September when his value was £30m.  Morally what he has done is wrong. He's cost the club. 

1.) I addressed that too, yes we nurtured him but we've also had an excellent midfielder for the last four years(who we have sorely missed even with 3 replacements to fill his boots) for 60k a week.

2.) And maybe he had his heart set on a move somewhere else and thought that was only hampered by his injury and things would be different this window, is he obliged just to go to any club who comes in so that we can get a bigger return?

Just now, Chach said:

1.) I addressed that too, yes we nurtured him but we've also had an excellent midfielder for the last four years(who we have sorely missed even with 3 replacements to fill his boots) for 60k a week.

2.) And maybe he had his heart set on a move somewhere else and thought that was only hampered by his injury and things would be different this window, is he obliged just to go to any club who comes in so that we can get a bigger return?

You are looking at it from a business perspective ... football is and should be more emotive than that.

2 hours ago, Chach said:

I agree with your point. Barkley is still a twat though.

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

You are looking at it from a business perspective ... football is and should be more emotive than that.

Consider the case of Niasse then. Every man and his dog wanted him out of this club. He didn't have a locker, he was sent on loan, and we attempted to sell him to get the money back that we paid.

Unfortunately football is a business and some players are fortunate enough to make their own decisions about where they want to go and others get forced out by their clubs when they aren't wanted any more. 

In hindsight the club should have sold Barkley 2 years ago when he didn't sign an extension. They hoped and probably took it for granted that he would sign and that' why we are where we are. 

Barkley has been smart, he has also been a cunt, but he has been smart and done what he thinks is best for him and his family. 

In truth this happens every day in a non footballing environment. Loyal employees are forced to leave (Niasse) and people who have come through the ranks go on to move companies because they think there will be greater opportunities (Barkley). I have had the first happen to me before and I expect that in the not to distant future I will also do the second.

22 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Might I point out that we still have no idea what really happened and haven't from the beginning? I shall reserve judgment until we hear his side of the story. Again, I wish him well.

Regardless of what has happened and him running his contract down him walking out of the deal in August only to go back in January costing the club 20 million is inexcusable. If he’d gone elsewhere I could understand it but to refuse to sign for Chelsea in August only to sign for 20 million less in January- and you have the front to bang on about Allerdyce being a crook.

23 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Regardless of what has happened and him running his contract down him walking out of the deal in August only to go back in January costing the club 20 million is inexcusable. If he’d gone elsewhere I could understand it but to refuse to sign for Chelsea in August only to sign for 20 million less in January

spot on, had he gone elsewhere for less (spurs, bournemouth, etc) i'd say ok, that's where he wanted to go and wants to play there, i'd accept that.  but same exact club? nope, lost us 20m, Walsh and Moshiri need to get a better grasp of these things and handle this differently.  A gentle push or maybe even a light threat (accept or you'll train in the park) to get him off (knowing full well he didn't want to be here) would have been best.  the nice guy routine screwed us 20m.  

negotiations have always been terrible with everton, they need to hire one of moshiri russian counterparts who's ruthless and is the russian levy.  "i don't speak good english, take deal or be dead to us, sorry not good with english word".  

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I agree with your point. Barkley is still a twat though.

Consider the case of Niasse then. Every man and his dog wanted him out of this club. He didn't have a locker, he was sent on loan, and we attempted to sell him to get the money back that we paid.

Unfortunately football is a business and some players are fortunate enough to make their own decisions about where they want to go and others get forced out by their clubs when they aren't wanted any more. 

In hindsight the club should have sold Barkley 2 years ago when he didn't sign an extension. They hoped and probably took it for granted that he would sign and that' why we are where we are. 

Barkley has been smart, he has also been a cunt, but he has been smart and done what he thinks is best for him and his family. 

In truth this happens every day in a non footballing environment. Loyal employees are forced to leave (Niasse) and people who have come through the ranks go on to move companies because they think there will be greater opportunities (Barkley). I have had the first happen to me before and I expect that in the not to distant future I will also do the second.

But everyone agreed (eventually) that the way niasse was treated was a disgrace

54 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Regardless of what has happened and him running his contract down him walking out of the deal in August only to go back in January costing the club 20 million is inexcusable. If he’d gone elsewhere I could understand it but to refuse to sign for Chelsea in August only to sign for 20 million less in January- and you have the front to bang on about Allerdyce being a crook.

That' a fair point.  Barkley has been dishonest at best.