IGNORED

Ross Barkley

England looked dangerous every time Barkley got the ball. It seemed at one point that they stopped passing it to him (around 60mins - 70mins in the game) and England had little to offer. Once he started getting the ball back, England looked like a threat again.

I'm glad Martinez has spoken out, because I feel Woy cannot use the quality of Barkley, far too old fashioned manager. I would rather Barkley never got in the squad than be held back or even lessened as a player by this poor England manager.

I love that from Martinez!

I would love to know what Rooney has done playing in the number 10 role to deserve a starting spot as most of the England set up (coaches and former players too) would lead you to believe. Beckham even said something like he had an unbelievable season!? He was average all year (started better than he finished mind you) and the only reason he escaped criticism is because he is English and Utd know that if they piss him off he will be gone.

Im not saying that I would start Barkley mind you, especially if AOC is fit because I would probably go with Lallana, Sterling and AOC as the attacking 3 behind Sturridge (at least against Italy and Uruguay), but IMO he has shown far more than Rooney has in recent times on those last two starts alone.

His "days" for England are too few and far between; failed dismally at every tournament since 2004.

When has any England player had a good tournament since 2004. I can't name any because they've ALL been rubbish. Barkley should (at present be used as an impact player)

All the expectation has always been on Rooney to deliver. It always falls on his shoulders.

Hopefully this time around low expectations may give him a chance to perform.

People are saying play Barkley instead. I don't disagree with playing Barkley, I disagree with dropping Rooney. When Welbeck seems to be getting picked.

Sturridge on his last performance wasn't great either. Rooney is a valuable player to the England team

still managed 17 goals in the league in a difficult season....

If we were talking about playing him as a striker I wouldn't have too many issues. For me Sturridge has had a better season but I think Rooney will deliver more consistently. We are talking about Rooney playing in the number 10 position but he isn't good enough for that role IMHO especially when we have options in the squad who would add better dimensions.

In response to Cotto, I would agree that Welbeck hasn't done anything to deserve a starting spot either but I wouldn't start with Rooney in his place out wide either.

We don't have the quality throughout the starting 11 to just pick players and hope they pull it off through individual skill. The team should come at the expense of individuals and I would rather we either come up with a formation that suits these players or drop them for someone else who would perform better for the good of the team.

If he doesn't want to drop Rooney then he should play him as the main striker with Lallana Barkley and Sterling behind him, put Sturridge on the bench.

No point in taking the youngsters if they don't let them play from the first game. Bringing them on to win a game from a losing position or expecting them to help you win the last 2 games after losing the first one will put far too much pressure on them.

If he doesn't want to drop Rooney then he should play him as the main striker with Lallana Barkley and Sterling behind him, put Sturridge on the bench.

No point in taking the youngsters if they don't let them play from the first game. Bringing them on to win a game from a losing position or expecting them to help you win the last 2 games after losing the first one will put far too much pressure on them.

Thats a line up behind Rooney is something to get excited about! If only we had a competent, attacking minded manager in charge....

:dry:

That's why everyone gets so frustrated with England, it's always fairly obvious as to which team will be the strongest and that team never ends up playing when the tournaments come round.

Its like you have to have 15+ caps before they will consider starting you at a major tournament.

Woy has said something very similar in his press conference:

"It is very exciting. We have a potential, a lot of belief in this potential but I must advise some caution because the players haven't had a lot of chances in an England shirt to show they can realise that potential. I believe it will be but first lets see some good performances in England shirts.
"Lets calm down before we say we have world beaters because to have world beaters you have to put an international shirt on and play very well.
"We have more pace, more mobility, a lot of technical players. I am not trying to play down the future looks quite bright and there are interesting times ahead. This World Cup, we are also going to need our experienced players."

That's why everyone gets so frustrated with England, it's always fairly obvious as to which team will be the strongest and that team never ends up playing when the tournaments come round.

Amen to that, I well remember the '86 cup; Robson and Wilkins picked just because of who they were when every Evertonian knew Reid and Steven were the much better option. Lo and behold, after two games (and one point) Robson gets injured and Wilkins suspended; the blues come in and the team is transformed (Beardsley in for Hately helped as well)! If it hadn't been for that cheating drug addled midget in the last eight who knows what might have been?

Having hodgson manage this world cup team is giving me the same feeling as a Davie Moyes Everton team going to play Liverpool... You get excited because of the enormity of it and you just know you are going to be disappointed.

Gary Neville could be a useful member of his backroom team.... If he could say something like "listen Roy, Wayne has been wearing undershirts in 98f heat in order to get fit and lose weight, he's so clearly off the pace, drop the fat sod and play lallana, sterling and Barkley behind sturridge"