IGNORED

Pat Nevin: Everton Need Moyes More Than Moyes Needs Everton

Louis

£60k a week says Moyes does need Everton. I don't think the current status is about Moyes and Everton, it is about the Board and Everton. Moyes is paid top 6 wages but is operating on a lower half budget - there is a discrepancy there in itself - pay a manager more for needing to operate on less?

Moyes wages are almost like protection Money for the board, the press need to get away from the "David Moyes is poorly done to" routine - he is being paid vast sums for operating a bring and buy outfit. The answer is that the board need Moyes and Moyes has managed to use that to get a good salary on lesser expectations than similar paid managers.

£60k a week says Moyes does need Everton. I don't think the current status is about Moyes and Everton, it is about the Board and Everton. Moyes is paid top 6 wages but is operating on a lower half budget - there is a discrepancy there in itself - pay a manager more for needing to operate on less?

Moyes wages are almost like protection Money for the board, the press need to get away from the "David Moyes is poorly done to" routine - he is being paid vast sums for operating a bring and buy outfit. The answer is that the board need Moyes and Moyes has managed to use that to get a good salary on lesser expectations than similar paid managers.

In the present climate I dont think Moyes is overpaid, He's brought us more success in his time here, than we had in the previous 20 years.

We where also in a worse state when he arrived than we are now, and he's getting paid less than one of his players [Arteta £75 grand].

I'm not sure if i know of any other job that pays the employees more than they pay the Boss.

However much he gets, i personally think he deserves it.

In the present climate I dont think Moyes is overpaid, He's brought us more success in his time here, than we had in the previous 20 years.

We where also in a worse state when he arrived than we are now, and he's getting paid less than one of his players [Arteta £75 grand].

I'm not sure if i know of any other job that pays the employees more than they pay the Boss.

However much he gets, i personally think he deserves it.

Success for me is winning something to add to our honours list, in 1995 we won the FA Cup (16 years ago), that was the last success we had and it was under Joe Royle.

I believe what you are referring to is performing above expectations - that is not success. Our expectations are set by the dire financial situation we find ourselves year after year - so really yes he has exceeded.

In the "present" climate - Moyes is being paid more money than any other manager relative to turnover - he is about the 6th highest paid manager in the league.

The point is, this thread should not be about Moyes, it is the people who should be arming him with the money to challenge his peers. Moyes is very well reimbursed for what he does, which is Top 6 wages for "having a go on a shoe string" - having a go on a shoe string is not enough, the expectation needs to rise, and that comes with the responsibility of managing a war chest not a piggy bank. Managing a war chest is not going to happen under current ownership - therefore owners out.

Phil McNulty, the BBC's football editor revealed that in a preview for Chelsea game, Pat Nevin said the following in conversation about the club: "Everton need Moyes more than Moyes needs Everton"

Is Nevin right?

i actually don't agree with this tbh, i don't think we do need him, i think he is starting to show his limitations in the last season or two, his tactical knowledge is limited, he has clear favourites no matter how bad that person may be playing(form wise) his contacts within the world game seem to be quite limited aswell, i can think of other reasons but i can't be bothered to type them at the moment. just don't think moyes is this great manager people make him out to be, and the idea of him being manager of the mancs one day is quite frankly a joke

i actually don't agree with this tbh, i don't think we do need him, i think he is starting to show his limitations in the last season or two, his tactical knowledge is limited, he has clear favourites no matter how bad that person may be playing(form wise) his contacts within the world game seem to be quite limited aswell, i can think of other reasons but i can't be bothered to type them at the moment. just don't think moyes is this great manager people make him out to be, and the idea of him being manager of the mancs one day is quite frankly a joke

I seem to remember Alan Curbishley at Charlton got the same plaudits for keeping them in the Premier on a shoestring budget, after a few years of doing nothing and going nowhere he left, i think because like Moyes he never had any transfer money and he had taken them as far as he could.

Charlton sank like a stone and got relegated, and they only just avoided relegation again the next season, and as of today they have still not returned, so be careful what you wish for.

Our club is skint and David Moyes is performing miracles simply by maintaining us as a top half prem club, He is given no funds, his hands are tied behind his back and still people want to put a noose around his neck, some must have very short memories if they don't remember how we were 10 years ago.

I seem to remember Alan Curbishley at Charlton got the same plaudits for keeping them in the Premier on a shoestring budget, after a few years of doing nothing and going nowhere he left, i think because like Moyes he never had any transfer money.

Charlton sank like a stone and got relegated, and they only just avoided relegation again the next season, and as of today they have still not returned, so be careful what you wish for.

Our club is skint and David Moyes is performing miracles simply by maintaining us as a top half prem club, He is given no funds, his hands are tied behind his back and still people want to put a noose around his neck, some must have very short memories if they don't remember how we were 10 years ago.

i understand what your saying Bill, and i do agree with you to some extent, but more recently thats just the way i feel, but it goes much deeper than moyes, lets be honest, and he has done well with what he's had, but im just not so sure about him anymore, its just my opinion at the end of the day, isn't that what its all about?

I seem to remember Alan Curbishley at Charlton got the same plaudits for keeping them in the Premier on a shoestring budget, after a few years of doing nothing and going nowhere he left, i think because like Moyes he never had any transfer money and he had taken them as far as he could.

I agree 100%

I also think McNulty is spot on we do need Moyes more than Moyes needs Everton. I can see what hafnia is trying to get at about him being well paid to do the job he is doing but he could probably have got a lot more dosh from Newcastle when he turned them down.

I am sure Moyes wouldnt be out of work long if there was a parting of the ways and Im sure he could pretty much name his own price, Im not so sure Everton could maintain our Premiership survival without him

Not sure where I stand on this.

I certainly think he has limitations which would severly hamper him should he get a top job. He is far too negative, too reactive (as opposed to pro-active) and he seems to have strange ideas with subs & tactics in general.

I certainly dont think he would improve any of the top 6 clubs. If he wants to get them jobs then he needs us to show people what he can do.

Having said that not having him in charge would really disrupt our team. A lot of our players seem to have a close bond with Moyes (or at least his favs anyway) and if you pulled him out of that group it would certainly have a dramatic effect. However, I do believe there are a fair few managers out there that could do a better job than Moyes with the squad we have at the moment.