IGNORED

Baines

I expect this why no actual moves have been made as yet and as I said in another thread people moaning about villa signing 5 and Liverpoo, Saints, etc. making early moves need to chill out. Neither has begun their new roles officially - July 1st will signal that.

I must say, though, I am starting to feel a bit anxious about our transfer dealings this summer.

It's not something I've felt for a while but this summer I really do think it's important that we do our main business extremely early. With a new manager coming in it's paramount that the majority are bedded in early. If we do our usual thing of waiting til deadline day I really do think we'll have a bad start to the season and the season will be a write off.

Edited by Romey 1878

I must say, though, I am starting to feel a bit anxious about our transfer dealings this summer.

It's not something I've felt for a while but this summer I really do think it's important that we do our main business extremely early. With a new manager coming in it's paramount that the majority are bedded in early. If we do our usual thing of waiting til deadline day I really do think we'll have a bad start to the season and the season will be a write off.

We need Arsenal ( or anybody else) to pull their finger out and buy Fellini, so Martinez has a better handly on what his budget is going to be.

But given Martinez is with ESPN and not starting proper with the squad and the club until next week I wouldn't get to anxious yet, i think things will start moving next week or so. He can't be any slower than Moyes in the transfer market can he!!

Here's Francis Jeffers on it:

https://twitter.com/FJ10official/status/350332323625050113

I tell u wat will happen with bainesy we will sell him say we didn't want to and blame player same shit different day #experience

translated from text talk:

I'll tell you what will happen with Bainsey, we will sell him, say we didn't want to and then blame the player. Same shit, different day.

Martinez has yet to train with the squad. He'll have an idea of what we need but he needs to at least meet the players as a group. He'll know we need more depth so will go with what he knows at a modest price e.g Kone, Alcatraz, who won't be automatic starters. If Martinez is going to buy big though he'll need to assess what needs addressing most, which I don't think he can do without getting to know everyone. The window opens next week, the 1st teamers are back over the next fortnight - it's very, very early.

Martinez has yet to train with the squad. He'll have an idea of what we need but he needs to at least meet the players as a group. He'll know we need more depth so will go with what he knows at a modest price e.g Kone, Alcatraz, who won't be automatic starters. If Martinez is going to buy big though he'll need to assess what needs addressing most, which I don't think he can do without getting to know everyone. The window opens next week, the 1st teamers are back over the next fortnight - it's very, very early.

I hope Martinez will have watched tape of most of our games of last season by now and that he will have an idea of what is needed. Moyes hasn't met the Man United squad yet either and he's already signed a right back and has made offers for Thiago and Baines.

My fears exactly. Especially with the new money, all the teams seem to be buying, young, potential. Good players from around Europe who have performed well and are available by their clubs.

With the likes of Honda up for grabs for basically pennies, we must act very quickly to get those quality of player, at the prices being mentioned.

If it was me. I'd pull out all the stops for players like Honda, get them in quick, settled, with a good preseason under their belts.

This is make or break for us. Martinez aswell. If teams around us keep buying these promising young stars now, we could get left behind in a couple of years with an ageing squad and no money in the future.

Spending £6m on a player like Kone, makes me feel ill. As Mark's pointed out. Look in the right places, you can buy players like Mirallas, for less, with more potential and also a possible sell on fee.

Honda is 27 but he's in a completely different class. He would be our best player (bar Baines, Kev and felli (if they stay)).

I hope Martinez will have watched tape of most of our games of last season by now and that he will have an idea of what is needed. Moyes hasn't met the Man United squad yet either and he's already signed a right back and has made offers for Thiago and Baines.

I'm sure he'll know what he needs but I'm also sure he'd like to get to know the players and work with them before acting too hastily.

I have read that there is no official source from either Man U or Everton that there was a bid for Baines and it's still not more than a rumour. I know Moyes is now the Man U manager, but he is actually still today on Everton's pay roll, at least to the end of this week.

So if Moyes and Man U were to make a bid for the player I would have thought it would be totally unproffessional of them to actually bid on the 27 June rather than wait four more days until all Moyes's ties are officaly over. Moyes sanctioning a move for a player form a club he is still actually officially contracted to, has his integrity disappeared in the past couple of months.

The story of the bid has come out less then 24 hours after Baines interview saying how much he's looking forward starting next season with Martinez..

It all smells a very fishy to be honest. So I am taking it with a pinch of salt at the moment.

I have read that there is no official source from either Man U or Everton that there was a bid for Baines and it's still not more than a rumour. I know Moyes is now the Man U manager, but he is actually still today on Everton's pay roll, at least to the end of this week.

So if Moyes and Man U were to make a bid for the player I would have thought it would be totally unproffessional of them to actually bid on the 27 June rather than wait four more days until all Moyes's ties are officaly over. Moyes sanctioning a move for a player form a club he is still actually officially contracted to, has his integrity disappeared in the past couple of months.

The story of the bid has come out less then 24 hours after Baines interview saying how much he's looking forward starting next season with Martinez..

It all smells a very fishy to be honest. So I am taking it with a pinch of salt at the moment.

My thoughts exactly.

It's easy to get caught up in the hysteria of paper talk but as you say there is no official line.

Problem is with Baines is that he is as fit as a fiddle, I expect him to do a job will into his 30's. Look at Giggs, similar build and weight to Baines - lasted years.

I always thought i'd play footy will into my 30's but I did the weights too much, got into 15st plus playing weight and from there the legs just went rapidly. It's great to have big chest and arms etc, but ultimately it costs you in the long run (17st now!)

Thats exactly why I think Rooney will be a spent force in 2-3 years, carried too much weight for too long. You just cant do it.

Back to Baines, I see no reason why he wont be playing at a high level till he is 34/35. If he does, then £15m will be a bargain for a player who has a high level of consistency, is professional as they come, and has a good fitness (no injury) record.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4987506/Leighton-Baines-transfer-Everton-tell-Manchester-United-to-pay-16m.html

I think he won't be with us at the start of the season, as much as we love him, 16-18 for a 28 year old can't be sniffed at when the club has sod all money, and Utd know that!

Papers should be prosecuted for inventing such garbage.

Papers should be prosecuted for inventing such garbage.

It's one of the principal stories on the BBC website, so it's not just maverick papers. I take the point that some make about Baines' age and therefore take good money now; however, that assumes that a younger player has been groomed to step right in. That's not the case here, is it?

If we want to attract good players to the club, the likes of Honda, what does it say if we let Baines go?

We need to make a show of strength here, back the manager who will want to keep Baines, and tell the world he is not for sale at any price. Offer the lad a damn good contract, he deserves it. We have bent over to keep Arteta in the past, and Baines is far more important to our team than he was.

We have one of the best left backs in the world, we need to add to him.

This could be a massive bit of PR for Bill too. If he gets Baines onto a new five year deal to secure his prime years, and tell the world we only sell who we want to sell, he might win a few fans.

What if we keep Bainsey and felli? Sell Naismith,Gueye,Jonny which would get us £7-8 mill which would get us Honda and Redmond. Spend our own dough on a centre back,Striker and another midfielder and we will be fuckin ready next season

What if we keep Bainsey and felli? Sell Naismith,Gueye,Jonny which would get us £7-8 mill which would get us Honda and Redmond. Spend our own dough on a centre back,Striker and another midfielder and we will be fuckin ready next season

1. That requires Felli & Bainesy to want to stay

2. We need buyers for Naismith, Gueye, Heitinga

3. Not sure it would get us 7-8m

4. I don't think Honda wants to join us, and I bet his pricetag is more than 5-6m. (Unless he's entering the last year of his contract)

Edited by Quinn31