IGNORED

Elstone Not Impressed By Uefa Fair Play Rules

Louis

An interesting 'economic' development over the next few seasons will be the introduction of UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules which will prevent clubs from playing in UEFA competitions unless they can prove broadly, they 'live within their means'. Essentially, clubs will only be able to spend on wages and transfers what they earn from 'normal', football business activities – ticket sales, retail, sponsorship and TV rights fees. And by doing this, UEFA is shutting the door on the 'original' and still very common way to fund a football team, the support of a wealthy benefactor. The new rules will present a monumental challenge for Manchester City (and many others), whose recent financial results show they are a million miles off squaring this circle but they may, in the long run assist Everton. Personally, I'm not a fan of red-tape, regulation and being told how to run our clubs - Premier League clubs have to comply will all sorts of tough rules anyway, but the UEFA rules will undoubtedly benefit clubs with big fan bases and modern stadia and whilst we continue to search for the latter, we do have the former. Many clubs in England and Europe will look enviously at our fan base as the new rules bite.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/a-marathon-not-a-sprint

Probably something to do with Everton making 10 losses (including player trading) during the past 12 years

just out of curiosity, whats the point in looking for a new owner if the following is true:

And by doing this, UEFA is shutting the door on the ‘original’ and still very common way to fund a football team, the support of a wealthy benefactor.

I don't know guys... he describes the rules as "red tape" which is usually a deragotory remark.

"Personally, I'm not a fan of red-tape, regulation and being told how to run our clubs"

think he just means he aint a fan of red tape in general but as he says these benefit clubs like us or at least almost like us in regards to the stadium and fanbase so he doesn't mind this..that's how i read it

This will benefit us in the short term as the likes of Spurs and Citeh will not be able to spend like they have in the past, the likes of Utd and Liverpool will get bigger due to the fanbase that they have but overall given that there are no signs of a Sugar Daddy buying us that this is positive.

I also likes his last comment about this weeks Derby which is hopefully true "As for my final comment, don’t listen to the misguided media pigeon-holing next Sunday as a relegation battle. It’s the marathon race we’ve entered, and befitting the best derby in the world, what it really is, is a key milestone in the battle for European football next season."