IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Stuart Hall charged with a rape offense from over 30 years ago I read today, I was quite damn surprised by that news. Not only that, but a string of subsequent offenses after the incident in question, in later years.

Hall was a regular commentator at Goodison over past years with some quite surreal match updates and reviews, as well as other stadia across the country of course. Shame to hear of todays news.

Whydont%20know.gif ?

I'm just saying that I've never been in the situation that they were (allegedly) in so I have no terms of reference to comment....how is "no comment" an inappropriate comment?

Because it immidiately sides with the possibility that the victim is the accuser, not the accused. You don't need to have experienced anything to see the opportunity is there for false accusation or extortion / whatever the crime would be.

I could simply claim that in 1975 I attended an event and Hall took me into the bogs and made me perform a sex act. The reason I wait 40 years is because it didn't happen, and not because of any emotional issue etc. I simply saw others accusing him and jumped on the bandwagon in the hope of compensatory money.

They may be telling the truth, but they may also be lying, in which case until the guy has his say, (and indded the other folk have their say) and it is investigated, and judged in a courtroom, he should be presumed innocent. By your claiming you don't know why they waited because you can't draw from personal experience is paramount to presumption of guilt, rather than acceptance that it could 'possibly' be a load of bollocks.

Edited by Avinalaff

Bullshit.

All I did was answer the "Why would someone wait forty years" part of your question with "I don't know." How in the hell anyone can construe that as taking one side or the other is absurd.

If anyone is pre judging/making assumptions it's you! As in....

"It always comes across to me as people trying to get pay offs."

Made it completely plain in my earlier comment that I was on neither side...

Shame for the alleged victims yes....brilliant news that (if he's guilty) he's going to pay for it.

Note "alleged" and "if".

Bullshit.

All I did was answer the "Why would someone wait forty years" part of your question with "I don't know." How in the hell anyone can construe that as taking one side or the other is absurd.

That's not really correct Mike, is it.

Had you said "I don't know" it would have gone unchallenged, but you actually said "I wasn't raped or abused as a child/teenager so I'm not in a position to judge." which is very different than "I don't know".

My first instinct is to doubt, not embrace. It is also law in this country that folk are innocent until proven guilty beyond doubt. Therefore my first reaction is to presume the accusers are lying, until they are proven to be not. That is parallel with UK law, and not simply dismissive.

At least the guy is alive to defend himself.

Bullshit.

All I did was answer the "Why would someone wait forty years" part of your question with "I wasn't raped or abused as a child/teenager so I'm not in a position to judge." How in the hell anyone can construe that as taking one side or the other is absurd.

Made it completely plain in my earlier comment that I was on neither side...

Shame for the alleged victims yes....brilliant news that (if he's guilty) he's going to pay for it.

Note "alleged" and "if".

The point you're completely missing is that I answered just "Why would someone wait forty years?" Made no reference whatsoever to anyone's guilt or the veracity of any allegation.

So I'm presuming precisely nothing but you call me presumptuous...baffling.

That's my last word on it because if you don't understand my point by now then you never will.

Exhibit A

Why not a shame for Hall, or anybody who remembers him with fond memories, as Dalziel stated?

Exibit B

name='MikeO' timestamp='1359032062' post='323839']

I wasn't raped or abused as a child/teenager so I'm not in a position to judge.[/b]

Might it have been better to say " If they were abused, it might have been difficult to come forward etc, but they could be taking advantage of the situation too" ?

There lies the case your honour.

It is this courts wish to push for a verdict of " Immidiately jumping on the Hall bashing bandwagon" and showing no remorse or mercy. Sentencing will be postponed until a later date.

ps .. stop getting so uppity. wink.png