IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Sheffield United striker Ched Evans, convicted of Rape whilst Port Vale player Clayton Donald found not guilty.

http://news.sky.com/...rticle/16212826

Seems strange that Evans was found guilty and Donald wasn't

Kohen, if you read the reports in some of the papers, it suggestings that Clayton was the one who take her back in the first place (so if anything, that's "intent") and then it was only when she gave permission to Ched to 'join in' later on, and he's the one who gets jailed?

Like you, its a very weird call. Surely Clayton was more at fault than Ched?

Predictions for tonight (and tomorrow)?

I believe that Barcelona will beat Chelsea at the Nou Camp and progress to the final (I actually hope they do too) and I believe that Real Madrid will over-turn their defeat at the hands of Bayern and win.

IMO the Real/Munich game is the harder one considering that the final is in Munich and Real are really, really in form.

Gutted cause I can't find a stream and it seems like a really good match. Can't believe that Messi still hasn't scored past Chelsea, you'd put your house on him scoring from the spot. With 30 minutes to go in the game (at time of writing) I can still see Barcelona winning and I really hope they do - something about Chelsea just gets right on my tits.

Where to start.

Can't stand Chelsea so those plastic cunts getting through to a European Cup Final doesn't exactly fill me with joy. dry.png

I heard most of it on the radio coming home and was quite pleased when the Spanish made it 2-0 and rat face was sent off, lo and behold the good fortune was not to last, they played ten men behind the ball the whole of the second half a la Steaua Bucharest 1986 and got the result they wanted, a few colorful words were spoken tonight, make no mistake about it.

I can't buy into this 'good for England', philosophy, well it's wasted on me. Bottom line is, a team I genuinely don't like had a big win this night and I was left somewhat empty. I hope Munich or Madrid do me a favor and beat these fucking plastics out of sight in the Final. dry.png

Of course, Little matter of the FA cup Final in a few weeks, and all things being equal I would want them to beat Liverpool, but any other opposition than that, would want whoever they play to be victorious for sure. Another damn frustrating night this end.

Guest Nikica

Where to start.

Can't stand Chelsea so those plastic cunts getting through to a European Cup Final doesn't exactly fill me with joy. dry.png

I heard most of it on the radio coming home and was quite pleased when the Spanish made it 2-0 and rat face was sent off, lo and behold the good fortune was not to last, they played ten men behind the ball the whole of the second half a la Steaua Bucharest 1986 and got the result they wanted, a few colorful words were spoken tonight, make no mistake about it.

I can't buy into this 'good for England', philosophy, well it's wasted on me. Bottom line is, a team I genuinely don't like had a big win this night and I was left somewhat empty. I hope Munich or Madrid do me a favor and beat these fucking plastics out of sight in the Final. dry.png

Of course, Little matter of the FA cup Final in a few weeks, and all things being equal I would want them to beat Liverpool, but any other opposition than that, would want whoever they play to be victorious for sure. Another damn frustrating night this end.

Top post.

I don't consider defending as 'anti-football' or anything like that, it would be stupid for a vastly inferior team like the chavs to go toe-to-toe with Barca, and I said so after their win in the first leg. Even at that, Barcelona should have scored at least three at SB. Their finishing was extremely profligate.

As for last night - Terry's sending off was 100% correct, but the anti-Barcelona brigade which infests the internet will be using it as evidence for 'Uefalona getting all the decisions', I am sure.

Despite me not considering defending as bus-parking, what Chelsea did in that second half last night made Inter's performance at Camp Nou two years ago look like Brazil 1970. Yes, Chelsea lost their two central defenders, but camping all nine outfield players in their own box was incredible. It seemed like almost the entire second half was played in Chelsea's defensive third. After Messi's penalty miss I knew Barcelona weren't going to score. They were doing their usual thing of passing the ball around until they find a gap and then exploiting it (which I love, personally). However, the space was so compressed that they just couldn't find said gap.

It looked like a Chelsea handball by the player who launched the ball to Torres for the assist as well, but it's hard to tell, it may have been the chest.

Chelsea are an incredibly average team (by CL standards) and the final will be all the worse for having them there rather than Barcelona. I just hope Bayern can progress tonight to spare us the nauseating Mourinho love-in which would surround a Real Madrid-Chelsea final, and I think they will, because I believe they will score at least one away goal tonight. However, the tie is very much in the balance.

It really destroys your faith in football when a team like Chelsea wins a CL semi against a team like Barca. Even catenaccio teams of the past have had plenty of attacking talent when they wanted to use it - other than Mata and a decent Drogba who is in decline, Chelsea have nothing in attack and I expect Bayern or Real to win the final comfortably.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Oh, by the way, I realise Rangers have played plenty of defensive football over the last few years - I am not too happy with that either, so I am not being a hypocrite.

I do understand why teams like Chelsea and us have had to do it against teams like Barcelona, but my point is that Chelsea took it to a whole new level last night (as far as recent memory goes).

I can't stand the fucking plastics, I make no secret of it. Putting ten behind the ball and 'we got a result' is not the way to win at soccer. No sense keeping at this, but still not what I was hoping for, Messi misses a spot kick also, if only he had been on target. Rat face misses the final so they say and maybe one or two other key players, I hope they seriously get beaten again in a few weeks. Little fucking nothing plastic club that didn't exist before 1997. shaking fist.png Great Club my ass.

Rangers were the first British side to be in a European Cup Final in 1960 I think, so that's something to be proud of maybe.

i have no issue with the way chelsea played...they could be like arsenal and play 'pretty' football but win fuck all for years on end...they played 2 games negative against a fabulous footballing side...if that had been arsenal they'd have got twatted simple as..chelsea played to their strengths and took their chances

Guest Nikica

I can't stand the fucking plastics, I make no secret of it. Putting ten behind the ball and 'we got a result' is not the way to win at soccer. No sense keeping at this, but still not what I was hoping for, Messi misses a spot kick also, if only he had been on target. Rat face misses the final so they say and maybe one or two other key players, I hope they seriously get beaten again in a few weeks. Little fucking nothing plastic club that didn't exist before 1997. shaking%20fist.png Great Club my ass.

Rangers were the first British side to be in a European Cup Final in 1960 I think, so that's something to be proud of maybe.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't blame Chelsea for defending like that, as they'd have been hammered had they tried to play Barca at football. Most of the time, I don't consider it anti-football, but I do have a problem with people labelling it as 'courageous and brave' though. No, attacking Barca and losing is brave, parking the bus is smart but cowardly. Fair play winning that way, but I wish people wouldn't glorify it or pretend it's a good way to win a football match.

Rangers made the semi in 1960 and lost to Eintracht. That was the year of the infamous RM-Eintracht final at Hampden involving Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento etc. I have seen the DVD and my grandad was at the game nad has regaled us with tales of the two teams. What a team Real were - Frankfurt were great as well but Real destroyed them.

In between shaves and waiting for my wife to finish in the bathroom unsure.png so will have to be quick.

I was refering to Gers making a European Final about 1960-61, it was the first British side to do it I think although Birmingham did something similar in a forerunner to the UEFA cup some years before I think. Made another final in 1967 too and then won the ECWC in 1972 for a first Euro trophy - no reference needed dry.png but am only about 95 per cent on that, also there was the UEFA cup final in 2009 was it.

Whatever you say about Scots soccer the respective teams have done well over the years in Europe, Aberdeen won the ECWC in '83, Celts the European Cup in 1967, Dundee United were screwed out of a European Cup Final in 1984 I remember, made the UEFA cup final in '87 etc, some feats of recognition there, Celtic also came very close to winning the UEFA cup in 2003 too but lost in the final to a very good FC Porto side though.

Might as well as see out the Madrid game, getting tense now, want the Spanish to win, I surely can't have three setbacks in as many nights, being punished for fucking something I feel.

So tense these semi-final things, imagine what it must be like in the arena.. think it will be penalties now.. rabbits foot time and all unsure.pngunsure.png

Going to go the distance this night..

Shouldn't be allowed really. It would not be very pleasant to see snidey rat face pick up the European Cup especially as he's not even eligible to be involved on the day. On a Saturday too now, what happened to wednesday night finals for this etc dry.png

Robert 'The Wrestler' Savage insists that Munich will win. Hope the fruit is right.

From the Guardian:

Who is Warnock? He's nothing to me. He's not Alex Ferguson, he's not Arsene Wenger, he's not Sam Allardyce or an important manager. I know he doesn't like me, but it's the same for me too - I don't like him" - El Hadji Diouf , 13 January 2011.

"I can't stand him. He is not a good manager. Nobody has heard of him outside of this country so who cares what he thinks about me" - El Hadji Diouf, 26 November 2011.

Diouf linked with move to Dirty Leeds - 26 April 2012

"I have the utmost respect for Neil Warnock and I'd be delighted to help Leeds gain promotion to the Premier League" - El Hadji Diouf 27 April 2012

Guest Nikica

i have no issue with the way chelsea played...they could be like arsenal and play 'pretty' football but win fuck all for years on end...they played 2 games negative against a fabulous footballing side...if that had been arsenal they'd have got twatted simple as..chelsea played to their strengths and took their chances

It's not so much about how they played, it's the extremes they went to. As I say, I don't have a problem with a vastly inferior team playing defensive football (it's boring as hell but I accept winning is what counts for those teams), what I have a problem with is what Chelsea did the other night. In that second half they lined up all nine outfield players in their own box. I don't care how good you are, any team will struggle to break that down. I also have a problem with people glorifying it and saying it was a defensive masterclass - it most certainly wasn't, because it doesn't take any great tactical acumen to do that. What Chelsea did in 2009 was closer to a defensive masterclass, because that night they played counter-attacking football and restricted Barca to one shot on target (the Iniesta goal which took them through). Obviously I was supporting Barca that night as well, but I can appreciate that Chelsea got their tactics spot on, because they defended well and had chances on the counter. No surprise that Hiddink was the coach that night, as he is one of the most tactically astute managers in the game.

What Chelsea did over the two legs this year was smart but cowardly. The second half of that second leg was such a cheap way to get a result - line all your players up in the box for practically a whole half of football. Fair play to them for winning, but in my opinion anyone who glorifies Chelsea's performance over the two legs misses the purism of football. They won, fair enough, but let's not pretend it was a defensive masterclass or that it was good for the game.

In between shaves and waiting for my wife to finish in the bathroom unsure.png so will have to be quick.

I was refering to Gers making a European Final about 1960-61, it was the first British side to do it I think although Birmingham did something similar in a forerunner to the UEFA cup some years before I think. Made another final in 1967 too and then won the ECWC in 1972 for a first Euro trophy - no reference needed dry.png but am only about 95 per cent on that, also there was the UEFA cup final in 2009 was it.

Whatever you say about Scots soccer the respective teams have done well over the years in Europe, Aberdeen won the ECWC in '83, Celts the European Cup in 1967, Dundee United were screwed out of a European Cup Final in 1984 I remember, made the UEFA cup final in '87 etc, some feats of recognition there, Celtic also came very close to winning the UEFA cup in 2003 too but lost in the final to a very good FC Porto side though.

Yep. That's what annoys me about some football fans, they don't realise that the game is dynamic and evolves. When you mention the names Reims or Eintracht Frankfurt for example, and how Real Madrid had to beat them in European Cup Finals, people view them through a modern lens and think because teams like that are poor now, that they were poor then as well - when actually, they were two fantastic sides.

Football constantly changes and the sharp globalisation and new-found capitalism of the game has caused some teams to become a shadow of their former selves. But you get some fans viewing them through a modern lens and thinking football prior to 1992 and the PL doesn't count. It's depressing.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

As for the games over the last couple of nights, I predicted before the first leg that Bayern would eliminate Real, and I did think they would outplay them.I still consider Real Madrid the second best team in Europe and Bayern the third, but Bayern's possession game always looked like it was going to cause problems for Real. I think Bayern deserved to win the tie before penalties. It was great to see Ronaldo miss, he's a detestable character and his selfish attitude sums up a lot of what is wrong with modern society. I would generally be neutral in a game between the two clubs, but with Chelsea making the final the previous night I was supporting Bayern as the Mourinho love-in surrounding a RM-Chelsea final would have been unbearable. Asking me who I'd prefer to win the CL between the two clubs (Mourinho and Ronaldo or Chelsea as a whole) would have been a terrible choice. I am a fan of many of Bayern's players so I hope they can smash Chelsea at home in the final.

The two games last night were great fun also. Was good to see Athletic Club make the final (I have nothing against Sporting Lisbon though). About a year ago on another forum, I was having a debate with a guy. We were talking about how most of the Athletic Club players are quality and practically unknown in Britain, so it was good to see them show Europe what the club is capable of. Bielsa in his typical fashion has made them even better to watch. His Chile team and Mexico were the two teams I most wanted to watch before the last World Cup as I had followed both throughout the qualifiers, so it's good to see him do well at Athletic. Some people think their Basque only policy is racist but I am not of that opinion - I believe it is much more about being proud of their community than excluding outsiders.

Atletico were outplayed by Valencia for the first half (I was flicking between the two games), but that was to be expected as Valencia needed to win by two goals. Atletico played a good counter-attacking game and got their reward on the night. I still can't believe a 'superpower' didn't sign Falcao last summer when he left Porto. He's one of the best strikers in the world.

I am looking forward to the EL Final more than the CL Final, as watching Chelsea is like watching paint dry (Mata excepted).

Edited by Nikica

How do you feel as a Scots person about the possibility of England winning the Euro tournament this summer, some I've spoke to before in competitions actually either don't care or even wish them good fortune etc, I don't think they can win it in all honesty, much better and class sides involved who are used to the main event, I think Germany or Italy could be champs this year.

Guest Nikica

How do you feel as a Scots person about the possibility of England winning the Euro tournament this summer, some I've spoke to before in competitions actually either don't care or even wish them good fortune etc, I don't think they can win it in all honesty, much better and class sides involved who are used to the main event, I think Germany or Italy could be champs this year.

I am a bit of an Anyone but England, it's nothing personal against English people, as I have met some lovely English men and women. However, the way the media goes into overdrive really puts me off the team. I know there's a lot of people down south who don't fall for all that garbage, but there's also a fair amount who do.

It's only natural I want England to lose when I hear their 'experts' talk about how no German players would make the England team etc, before being beaten 4-1 by said Germans.

It's not made any better by the fact that the team is made up with tools like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Cole etc, and in the past the likes of Beckham and Owen. It's like a tw at list.

It's nothing personal against England at all - nice country, I have enjoyed my visits there. But the arrogance the media and some English people show regarding the national team and football in general makes me want them to lose.

In truth, I am anti-nationalism. I want Scotland to do well but that's more so I can have someone to support in international football. I feel no great affinity or solidarity with my fellow countrymen.

You were expected to win in 1978 in Argentina if I remember, or do very well, but Ally McLeod did a bit of a Moyes and lost it on the big stage, simply was unable to perform when it was most necessary. Do people still go on about that Holland strike and Gemmill was it, I saw the goal but some to this day still rave about it apparently.

It was so famous it even appeared in Trainspotting. I saw the movie.

Guest Nikica

You were expected to win in 1978 in Argentina if I remember, or do very well, but Ally McLeod did a bit of a Moyes and lost it on the big stage, simply was unable to perform when it was most necessary. Do people still go on about that Holland strike and Gemmill was it, I saw the goal but some to this day still rave about it apparently.

It was so famous it even appeared in Trainspotting. I saw the movie.

To be honest, it was only our deluded countrymen who expected us to win the tournament in 1978, especially in an away continent lol. Ally's Army and all that. I wasn't alive then, but I do think we should have done a bit better. Peru were actually a good team at the time and it was always going to be difficult to beat them on their own continent. The Holland result was obviously huge but we were never going to beat them by enough goals really. It was the Iran game which done us in. The Gemmill strike was a fantastic goal though. Nobody really mentions it much unless we are playing Holland.

Hahaha yes, is that the part where the guy is having sex with his girlfriend?

Edited by Nikica

It's not really his 'girlfriend', it was some girl he picked up in a club if memory serves.

Seems strange in retrospect being there, and bad results to Iran and Peru and deservedly beating The Netherlands.. Strange.

Something similar happened in 1990 when you lost to Costa Rica, beat Sweden and came very close to getting a result against Brazil in the last game, I'm sure you'll make it to the second rounds someday.

Guest Nikica

It's not really his 'girlfriend', it was some girl he picked up in a club if memory serves.

Seems strange in retrospect being there, and bad results to Iran and Peru and deservedly beating The Netherlands.. Strange.

Something similar happened in 1990 when you lost to Costa Rica, beat Sweden and came very close to getting a result against Brazil in the last game, I'm sure you'll make it to the second rounds someday.

Yeah, I remember Italia 90, although I was very young. To be fair that Brazil side wasn't great, they had Romario, Bebeto and Careca I think but they played some negative football, in keeping with that tournament as a whole. We did well to beat Sweden, the the result against Costa Rica was inexcusable and in truth we didn't deserve to qualify.

I thought Euro 96 was going to be the night it happened. Kluivert's late goal at Wembley just denied us on goal difference. Then two years later we had a chance but lost to Morocco and Norway amazingly beat Brazil anyway.

At the time I was really desperate to make the second round of a tournament.Now I am just desperate to get there again.

Anyone watching Chelsea? They have been playing for 40 minutes and are leading 4-0 thanks to goals from Daniel Sturridge, John Terry and Fernando Torres (2). My Dad said that the pre-match hand-shake was cancelled too following the accusation that John Terry has racially abused Anton Ferdinand.

I'm happy to see that Torres is scoring but I struggle to support a team that has JT within it.

Also I'm really glad we didn't sign Onouha (this is the fourth goal);

Oh man, this is getting ugly. Horrendous defending by QPR. Onuoha tracks back with a Mata through ball from the middle of the pitch but Kenny's racing out... Ouoha attempts to head it back to his keeper, Kenny is wrongfooted, the two collide and Torres escapes with the ball. Another simple finsih into an empty net, and QPR are single-handedly resurrecting his career.

Guest Nikica

Great to see United get a good humping last night - I see their classless fans have been on the rampage again. They are scum.

No surprise to me - it's clear as day that City are the better team on paper and play the far more progressive football. United's game plan consists of getting it wide and getting in crosses. Cut that off and they can't create a thing down the middle.

Guest Nikica

Podolski deal done, going to Arsenal in the summer.

Surprised we haven't used the Koln model to boost the transfer funds. Think the Americans would fund a Dempsey or Donovan transfer for us smile.png

http://www.thespoile...olski-transfer/

Good player is Podolski, but he does have a reputation for being a better player at international than club level.

Arsenal need to play him on the right in a 433 or 4231. Let him cut inside and wreak havoc with his hammer of a left peg. They need RVP to stay as well.

In theory Lukas should be more of a success than Marko Marin at Chelsea. In theory...