IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

I'm just saying that the standard seems to be a lot lower in Russia based on that pitch. I didn't mean it in a nasty way nor was my opinion that educated, I just mean that based on the video that was posted it seems that Russian teams play on rather low standard pitches.

Apologies if I offended/confused.

That's like watching a video of Everton v Sunderland a few seasons back and saying it seems like Everton win every game 7-1rofl.gif .

http://img715.images.../3205/hmmci.jpg

Shouldnt of counted anyway

i really dont get this 'balance the ball on the verge of the corner area' nonsense. When I play I stick it down in the middle, make sure it doesnt roll and then cross. Would make no difference if it was on the edge or not. What does a few cm matter for a professional footballer?!

i really dont get this 'balance the ball on the verge of the corner area' nonsense. When I play I stick it down in the middle, make sure it doesnt roll and then cross. Would make no difference if it was on the edge or not. What does a few cm matter for a professional footballer?!

I agree although I have to say for some reason I end up doing it myself. I'm a goalkeeper and whenever I take a goal kick I try to sneak the ball out of my box so I can get a further kick, I know these two instances are different as with a goal kick you're looking for power whilst with a corner you're looking for accuracy but it's still cheating when it's not really needed.

I actually came very close to being booked for doing that on a few occasions.

Bloody hell! Wigan Warriors manager Shaun Wane has put out a second-side against Widnes Vikings today despite having no injuries and we find ourselves at 18-18 at half time. Widnes are a team that have been battered by each team they have played this season and are at the bottom with 0 points, we should have been at least 20-0 up by half time but because we have under-estimated them and we are being punished.

Reminds me of Everton - not happy!

Edit: 3 tries in the first 3 minutes of the second half for Wigan, I'm a little happier now.

Edited by Zoo

Cracking win for the swans today!! Well done lads!

Glad to see Manchester United at the top of the table ahead of City. A good win for the Swans and one which will hot up the title race, United could go four points clear before City play again as they have a game against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Manchester City however play Chelsea (who could actually do well against them considering the departure of Villas-Boas).

What the fuck, Swansea beat MCFC tonight, only found out a few moments ago. This is a surprise and no mistake, could be swans result of the season with all respect to them

I do want City to be league champions, over the red half of the city at least. This result tonight does them no favors, but they still have every chance of taking the title. I was surprised though (the result from Wales)

I had to tune out after a few minutes as the audio was not above terrible and I simply couldn't hear what was being said but I get the general picture

Obviously the assumption by most that people in the states not only don't understand the game of 'football' but simply have no interest are old hat and exaggerated in this day and age. Yes it's not our national sport, but has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and there is as healthy interest today as ever before. I've always heard back home that one arguement is some people merely find it boring, whereas in American Football it is so much easier to score points and with it comes a higher points tally from any one game

Some people will always have a stereotypical view of Americans and their view on Football as a game, in that we don't know what we're talking about or 'it's not their area' etc., but most are honest enough to accept they have just as much right to get involved as anyone else and to have an extensive knowledge of the game it all very well and good and there's no distaste involved

Usa_Soccer.jpg

To be fair, that guy has a point. It would be quite interesting to get ex-pro feedback on how some things are executed. It would potentially aid younger viewers who are watching the games; if a player is highlighted for their ability to ‘draw’ and man with his movement off the ball and there’s a little segment during the replay, explaining how he does this so successfully, a young viewer may take that knowledge to his footy team training ground and start to put into practice what he’s learnt? On top of that, if we had commentators explaining how a free-kick is struck (to devastating effect), you could potentially see one of the young viewers take that outside and put that into practice too. Valid point, in my opinion.

I had to tune out after a few minutes as the audio was not above terrible and I simply couldn't hear what was being said but I get the general picture

Obviously the assumption by most that people in the states not only don't understand the game of 'football' but simply have no interest are old hat and exaggerated in this day and age. Yes it's not our national sport, but has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and there is as healthy interest today as ever before. I've always heard back home that one arguement is some people merely find it boring, whereas in American Football it is so much easier to score points and with it comes a higher points tally from any one game

Some people will always have a stereotypical view of Americans and their view on Football as a game, in that we don't know what we're talking about or 'it's not their area' etc., but most are honest enough to accept they have just as much right to get involved as anyone else and to have an extensive knowledge of the game it all very well and good and there's no distaste involved

Usa_Soccer.jpg

holy mother of pearl......... I cant stand up!

To be fair, that guy has a point. It would be quite interesting to get ex-pro feedback on how some things are executed. It would potentially aid younger viewers who are watching the games; if a player is highlighted for their ability to ‘draw’ and man with his movement off the ball and there’s a little segment during the replay, explaining how he does this so successfully, a young viewer may take that knowledge to his footy team training ground and start to put into practice what he’s learnt? On top of that, if we had commentators explaining how a free-kick is struck (to devastating effect), you could potentially see one of the young viewers take that outside and put that into practice too. Valid point, in my opinion.

There is not enough time between play to do it though, only way would to implement a break every 5 mins and explain it for 5 mins then carry on (oh and dont forget to add an extra advert or two). It's pretty obvious if a player is leaning back he's gonna more than likely sky it, they shouldnt need to get the mechanics explained to them. Their human being just like footballers, and god help us all if they don't know they affects of moving your leg

It wouldn't take 5 minutes, we have replays when there is a break in play anyway, it would just be something like "look at the positioning of his feet" (during the replay) or something like, "look how he hustles the defender, to make him aware and draw him away from the centre line" etc. It really wouldn't take 5 minutes, just a brief, analytical view on the dynamic of the play.

The guy has a point, its like in Golf, they talk about the rotation, angle of approach etc but if the football commentators were to fill in, it would be

"da waz da wickedist swinging ive ever seend, bootiful, magic"...all they have to do is elaberate. We hear punters and commentators say, its such a hard technique to get right, ok, so why? Just quick sharp pointers. Nothing ellaborate or essay'like.

"he's able to get the curve he desires, through that little flick he adds onto the end of the 'strike' (shows slow mo of free-kick being taken), while getting under the ball to gain the necessary height"...how long would that take of a 10 second replay? You'd finish reading that before 10 seconds...

It wouldn't take 5 minutes, we have replays when there is a break in play anyway, it would just be something like "look at the positioning of his feet" (during the replay) or something like, "look how he hustles the defender, to make him aware and draw him away from the centre line" etc. It really wouldn't take 5 minutes, just a brief, analytical view on the dynamic of the play.

The guy has a point, its like in Golf, they talk about the rotation, angle of approach etc but if the football commentators were to fill in, it would be

"da waz da wickedist swinging ive ever seend, bootiful, magic"...all they have to do is elaberate. We hear punters and commentators say, its such a hard technique to get right, ok, so why? Just quick sharp pointers. Nothing ellaborate or essay'like.

"he's able to get the curve he desires, through that little flick he adds onto the end of the 'strike' (shows slow mo of free-kick being taken), while getting under the ball to gain the necessary height"...how long would that take of a 10 second replay? You'd finish reading that before 10 seconds...

I fear the worst, it takes them two hours to play on average 12 minutes of American football because of all the analysing. It would get very repetitive as well for people who watch more than a couple of games a year.

Our commentators do a little bit, we even have replays of the better bits, but the American guy wants a full analysis with arrows, degrees, power velocity ect. rather than a sound bite which is more than enough. The vid you just put up is a perfect example even though its foreign commentary you could see that was special, and then a slow mo replay and thats enough. Americanising it would have a massive Boo-yeah! followed by 5 replays from different angles then a guide how to emulate it yerself, meanwhile we miss the football match in the back ground to the flashing lights.

The American dream is they can do anything if they try hard enough and it shows in their sport preference, they go for stuff anyone can do BaseBall, Basket Ball, and Nascar. They don't like sports where natural ability plays a bigger factor like Football* and F1, as it challenges there ideals.

*Phil Neville is an anomaly laugh.png

Edited by pete0

I fear the worst, it takes them two hours to play on average 12 minutes of American football because of all the analysing. It would get very repetitive as well for people who watch more than a couple of games a year.

When I watch its usually around 3 hours for a 60 min game split between 4 quarters + 20 min half time break + all the analysing that goes on? Pretty good going in my opinion. I can understand the worry that the games will last too long then, but in football we dont stop the clock, so maybe it just gets added on in stoppage time?

When I watch its usually around 3 hours for a 60 min game split between 4 quarters + 20 min half time break + all the analysing that goes on? Pretty good going in my opinion. I can understand the worry that the games will last too long then, but in football we dont stop the clock, so maybe it just gets added on in stoppage time?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

American football has around 12 mins of actual play, proper football is about 78 mins