IGNORED

The S*n

MikeO

...numbers don't lie- The Sun is, without a doubt the #1 best selling paper in the UK and that's down to the way it's written, the audience it is intended for!

It knows what the audience wants and that's what it gives (Granted not for everyone, but can anything cater for everyone?)

Hey Kohen...have you finished your "Thinking Journalism" essay yet?

If so....here's one for you.

Sun Headline.....

We'll make Jenson pay

Opening lines, "JENSON BUTTON has been rapped for walking out on Brawn GP, the outfit that helped him to the F1 world title last year.

The blast came from team boss Ross Brawn who brought in Button after taking over the former Honda team in March 2009."

Then they quote what Brawn actually said...

"I was disappointed Jenson left.

"He felt people were of the opinion he only won the world championship because he had the best car. So he left us to show them he could do it again elsewhere.

"We are still friends. We were on the same flight back from Malaysia and we had a good chat. But on the racetrack it is different. There are no friends on the racetrack.

"Jenson was a fabulous member of our team last year but now he is the history and we have to beat him.

"He also wanted to prove himself at McLaren against the guy who is probably the fastest and most naturally talented in motor racing - Lewis Hamilton.

"He's set himself a massive challenge and he is doing very well so far."

Can you tell me at what point in that interview he raps or blasts Button :mellow: ?

He then goes on to talk about Schumacher with absolutely no reference at all to "making Jenson pay."

It's a small example of why I hate the rag so much....the headline and the opening are totally unrelated to the content of the story. They're complete fabrication...how is that good journalism?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/2948641/Ross-Brawn-Well-make-Jenson-Button-pay.html

Hey, did you guys hear about that Luciana Berger following the S*n on twitter?

She was caught following it and then she claimed it was a "Completely absurd notion to suggest that following a nasty on twitter e.g a Tory/anti newspaper is a sign of support for them"

However, months after the ‘twitter scandal’ Luciana commented on a political blog the following: ‘’I’m delighted The S*n, the people’s paper, have raised this’’

hm.jpg

http://order-order.com/2010/03/18/the-race-to-be-daves-downing-street-mouthpiece/

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER???!!!

She should be very aware of the ill feeling towards such rag is still very strong within the city.

I'm horrified that she thinks like this. Why would you decide to stand in Liverpool and call that filth "The People's Paper"?

I really hope she loses.

I've finished and handed it in, I actually wrote a bit about this!

I suppose there's two arguments (by the way this is written a couple pints later and wasn't the submitted piece, ha!)

two arguments -one that it's misleading and one that it's clever. The headline is written to grab you ("We'll make Jenson pay"), even if it's mildly confusing, and after that comes the first sentence, which summarises all the important 'facts' of the story that follows ("JENSON BUTTON has been rapped for walking out on Brawn GP, the outfit that helped him to the F1 world title last year. The blast came from team boss Ross Brawn who brought in Button after taking over the former Honda team in March 2009")

As the story goes on, the information supplied becomes steadily less and less important, or in this case closer to the truth. They used to do this for stories appearing in physical newspapers where space was limited.

That's the way it's supposed to work, anyway.

People just skim headlines and opening paragraphs and in that case the story is a hell of a lot better!

The example I used in my piece also came from The Sun, the headline was something like "Mephedrone kills another Teen" when towards the end of the article it said "Although Mephedrone was found in the teens blood system, a cocktail of Ecstasy and alcohol killed the teen"

Which what I've wrote probably applies more to. I dunno, it's late, I'm waffling!

Good initiative ... In the UK it's only the Sun but could you imagine a major news organization like Fox News having a real influence on the opinion of the people like in the US? It's amazing what this one man has done in his life, he could be the antichrist.

It's not only the Sun in the UK, it's Sky News (TV) , the Times, Sunday Times and News of the World. SKY news is more influential than you'd think