IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I find a bit of irony in all the comments/arguments/opinions that say Rom is this high Champions league level striker, best in Europe etc etc.

Now the conversation turns to who he'll go to...and these Champions league clubs are being ruled out because Rom maybe isn't good enough, or they'll want someone else, or they don't need him.

Talk about full circle!!!

I find a bit of irony in all the comments/arguments/opinions that say Rom is this high Champions league level striker, best in Europe etc etc.

Now the conversation turns to who he'll go to...and these Champions league clubs are being ruled out because Rom maybe isn't good enough, or they'll want someone else, or they don't need him.

Talk about full circle!!!

it's not that he's not good enough, it's that they already have players similar that don't cost 70-100m. If he was going for 20m they'd all snap him up, but at that high price tag he's a talisman, and not many sides need one right now (United being one, Chelsea if Costa leaves)

Essentially he isn't worth the money we are asking... in the last month he seems to have gone out of his way to prove that...

Either way we ain't gonna budge for less than £70m unless the big spenders start looking elsewhere.

I think koeman would have dropped him but he probably wants the golden boot to boost the value.

Essentially he isn't worth the money we are asking... in the last month he seems to have gone out of his way to prove that...

Either way we ain't gonna budge for less than £70m unless the big spenders start looking elsewhere.

I think koeman would have dropped him but he probably wants the golden boot to boost the value.

agreed with the bold underlined part. if you have money to spend sure go ahead, but if you're trying to maintain any budget at all, he's not worth it. that's why his options are so limited. Even at 50-60m he would have more options. But 70m plus? They might have priced him out of a move this summer.

it's not that he's not good enough, it's that they already have players similar that don't cost 70-100m. If he was going for 20m they'd all snap him up, but at that high price tag he's a talisman, and not many sides need one right now (United being one, Chelsea if Costa leaves)

So he's not good enough to replace what they already have?

He might be and is in some cases, it's the price tag that is the issue.

But if you want better than you have, then you have to pay the money.

Of course, I'm playing with you a bit here. Devils advocate and all that.

But there is an essence of truth in what I'm saying. IF, as has been argued numerous times here, he is THAT good, then those teams at the top of each league, who desire the best talent and don't shy from spending huge sums on such talent, will battle it out for him and his price is justified. None of these top tier teams struggle for pennies.

If they aren't in for him, then he isn't good enough for them.

But if you want better than you have, then you have to pay the money.

Of course, I'm playing with you a bit here. Devils advocate and all that.

But there is an essence of truth in what I'm saying. IF, as has been argued numerous times here, he is THAT good, then those teams at the top of each league, who desire the best talent and don't shy from spending huge sums on such talent, will battle it out for him and his price is justified. None of these top tier teams struggle for pennies.

If they aren't in for him, then he isn't good enough for them.

but newty there's only a few teams in the world that can afford that.

prem - arse, chelsea, spurs, united, city, liverpool.

spain - madrid (both), barca

france - PSG, monaco

germany - bayern

italy - Juventus, Napoli (just cause they got 90m for higuain)

of those teams only united arsenal chelsea liverpool and PSG need someone like that. Rule arse out cause they haven't ever spent that much, PSG have cavani, RS aren't going to spend it on him, really only leaves united and chelsea.

has nothing to do with ability newts, only with who can afford him.

but newty there's only a few teams in the world that can afford that.

prem - arse, chelsea, spurs, united, city, liverpool.

spain - madrid (both), barca

france - PSG, monaco

germany - bayern

italy - Juventus, Napoli (just cause they got 90m for higuain)

of those teams only united arsenal chelsea liverpool and PSG need someone like that. Rule arse out cause they haven't ever spent that much, PSG have cavani, RS aren't going to spend it on him, really only leaves united and chelsea.

has nothing to do with ability newts, only with who can afford him.

So that's 14 teams.

None of them want to pay for a world class goal scorer??? None of them need this best finisher in the world?

I thought this guy was the best around? Of course it's to do with ability. You want the best, you pay the high price.

Ronaldo. Bale. Pogba. Di Maria. Rodriguez. Higuain. Stones. Buffon. Luiz. Suarez.

The list of players goes on. All £50 - £80 million.

If they are THAT good, the top teams snap them up regardless of price.

I don't think I've been some sort of super scout with regards lukaku but much of what I have bored the shit out of you all with over the last 4 years is indeed what we are starting to read about more and more....

Inability to influence big games, poor at holding up the ball and linking play, poor work ethic...

His goal record is impressive... arguably that impressive that surely a top club would happily break a transfer record for a 23 year old with that sort of pedigree.... but they won't because of the above factors.

Take an inzaghi in today's game... He would be used as some sort of squad player in the way that man city used dzecko. Specific to certain games but wouldn't be used in games against top sides until maybe they were chasing a goal.

Lukaku will be used the same way and for the money we want he won't get bought unless they really do want him.

So that's 14 teams.

None of them want to pay for a world class goal scorer??? None of them need this best finisher in the world?

I thought this guy was the best around? Of course it's to do with ability. You want the best, you pay the high price.

Ronaldo. Bale. Pogba. Di Maria. Rodriguez. Higuain. Stones. Buffon. Luiz. Suarez.

they already ahve world class scorers, i just listed the ones that can AFFORD him. teams that need world class striker that CAN afford him: Arsenal, United, Liverpool. 3. not a big market newts.

Edited by markjazzbassist

they already ahve world class scorers, i just listed the ones that can AFFORD him. teams that need world class striker that CAN afford him: Arsenal, United, Liverpool. 3. not a big market newts.

Bloody hell, how many world class strikers are there?!

Talk about an overused term!

Nothing against you Mark, you just kept answering. In a long winded way, I'm just saying he ain't at that level.

Goalscorer, yes. The rest? Meh.

That's why I think the clubs at the level he desires will find other options. And that includes their own current option.

So that's 14 teams.

No one has ever said this. So much hyperbole in this thread on both sides for sure, but no one has said he is the best around or the best finisher in the world. Like MJB said, the market isn't there for Lukaku, so I think he'll actually stay with us unless he happens to go to ManU or Chelsea. I don't see any other options for him at this point. He's still very much the unfinished product at 23/24. Most strikers don't prime until 27/28/29. Part of his price tag is the potential, which also means there is a lot more risk involved than your Ronaldos, Suarez', Luiz', Di Marias, et al. You have exceptions like Stones and Pogba going for exorbitant fees too, but has anyone ever considered them the best in the world at their time of purchase?

Edited by TonkaRoost

Bloody hell, how many world class strikers are there?!

Talk about an overused term!

Nothing against you Mark, you just kept answering. In a long winded way, I'm just saying he ain't at that level.

Goalscorer, yes. The rest? Meh.

That's why I think the clubs at the level he desires will find other options. And that includes their own current option.

Madrid - Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale

Madrid - Griezman, Gamiero

Barca - Messi, Neymar, Suarez

Bayern - Lewandowski

PSG - Cavani

Monaco - Falcao

Juve - Higuain, Dybala

United - Ibra

Chelsea - Costa

Arsenal - Sanchez

Liverpool - Mane

Spurs - Kane

City - Aguero

all these guys are bagging high teens, 20's or 30+ goals (Gameiro did last year for Sevilla, hes backup now)

as you can see, unless they sell those players they don't need him. United because of Ibra injury maybe, but no one needs him. If he was on the cheap, he'd be a solid backup. No one is paying 70m for a backup/rotation striker.

A 23 year old 6ft 4, 14 st goal, fast and powerful goal machine who wants to move.... 9 years left in him... asking price is £80m. Would probably want £150k a week maybe a bit more. Has 7 years experience playing first team football....

Just scored 24 goals in the prem...

Sounds too good to be true. So the top clubs watch him.... nothing doing... why not?

Real Madrid bought bale at a similar age to what Rom is now despite already having Ronaldo.....

Teams will buy quality players irrespective of who they already have.

21:50

PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE SEASON - ROMELU LUKAKU

share.png

His 25 goals so far have earned him the votes of his teammates - Romelu Lukaku is the Players' Player of the Season.

"Since I turned pro this is the first time this has happened to me," says our winner. "Personally, I thought Gana would win it because he has been the best players consistently. The midfielders have given the likes of me and Ross the platform to create this season, so we owe them. I’m very happy. I want to thank the manager for pushing me, even though sometimes I’m not always an easy guy. He’s taken me to the next level. And I want to thank the fans as well."

21:50

PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE SEASON - ROMELU LUKAKU

share.png

His 25 goals so far have earned him the votes of his teammates - Romelu Lukaku is the Players' Player of the Season.

"Since I turned pro this is the first time this has happened to me," says our winner. "Personally, I thought Gana would win it because he has been the best players consistently. The midfielders have given the likes of me and Ross the platform to create this season, so we owe them. I’m very happy. I want to thank the manager for pushing me, even though sometimes I’m not always an easy guy. He’s taken me to the next level. And I want to thank the fans as well."

great response, bravo Rom congrats!

21:50 PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE SEASON - ROMELU LUKAKU

share.png

To get it from his team mates says a lot.

A 23 year old 6ft 4, 14 st goal, fast and powerful goal machine who wants to move.... 9 years left in him... asking price is £80m. Would probably want £150k a week maybe a bit more. Has 7 years experience playing first team football....

Just scored 24 goals in the prem...

Sounds too good to be true. So the top clubs watch him.... nothing doing... why not?

Real Madrid bought bale at a similar age to what Rom is now despite already having Ronaldo.....

Teams will buy quality players irrespective of who they already have.

If he goes to Chelsea or Man U it dispels this then?

Edited by c1982

How do you know there's never been a solid approach? Not every offer becomes public knowledge.

Really? You actually think his dad, agent and Rom himself would keep quiet if a bid of significance came in and we rejected it?

Come on... the whole circus around him is in full on transfer mode.

Really? You actually think his dad, agent and Rom himself would keep quiet if a bid of significance came in and we rejected it?

Come on... the whole circus around him is in full on transfer mode.

He's already publicly stated someone tried to sign him in the summer and Everton blocked the move.

He's already publicly stated someone tried to sign him in the summer and Everton blocked the move.

"I will not quarrel with Everton. I knew of the interest of a few clubs"

When bids come in they are more often than not made public. Interest is just that... Interest.

The story I've been told is this...

The contract renewal was a load of self serving snidey behaviour by his agent and Rom to try and fleece more cash from the transfer.

Essentially they wanted a buy out clause that Chelsea were prepared to pay but the kicker is that his agent wanted his greedy bastard cut inserted along with a huge "loyalty" bonus for our lovable diva.

If we agreed to this contract then we will have been mugged off like juve were over pogba.

And that is why he said "no" to he contract we offered as we never fell for it.

By all accounts it's created some shit. I think pad is talking along the lines I've heard.

Edited by Hafnia

I honestly think that agent of his is 3/4 of the problem, there are clubs in Germany(i think, might be Spain actually) that won't deal with him because he is such a cunt, the whole saga is just becoming boring now, also if he does go to say Man U/ Chelsea, how long before he starts the same again because he gets left out for a few games?