IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

John Spencer, mo johnston, mikel madar, danny cadamarteri....

Probably name 99% of the "let's pay £500k and hope he isn't as shit as his price tag suggests" players that we have signed over the past 20 odd years.

Alternatively we could actually use the £28m+ profit outlay that we recoup... and buy players who wouldn't struggle to get into Tranmere Rovers squad.

Don't vault me on this.... but I think even with just the £28m we spent on Rom we could actually buy a very good centre forward.... madness eh.

John Spencer, mo johnston, mikel madar, danny cadamarteri....

Probably name 99% of the "let's pay £500k and hope he isn't as shit as his price tag suggests" players that we have signed over the past 20 odd years.

Alternatively we could actually use the £28m+ profit outlay that we recoup... and buy players who wouldn't struggle to get into Tranmere Rovers squad.

Don't vault me on this.... but I think even with just the £28m we spent on Rom we could actually buy a very good centre forward.... madness eh.

Who though? I know "that's Steve Walsh's job" but you must have some players in mind to say this. This isn't a dig at you btw, its opening the discussion to whom we could replace the big man with.

Who though? I know "that's Steve Walsh's job" but you must have some players in mind to say this. This isn't a dig at you btw, its opening the discussion to whom we could replace the big man with.

Not many would have heard of let alone thought Lukaku would be so prolific and potentially command a monstrous fee a few years ago, he isn't the first and certainly won't be the last player to burst onto the scene so to name players is unrealistic for the most part as we won't know what talent is out there

A recent one being Gabriel Jesus again not many would have heard of him he didn't cost a fortune in today's game and in my opinion the lad will be top class

If I was to throw players into the mix who aren't as well known or playing week in week out I'd say

Mayoral

Sanabria

Barbosa

Correa

Ineanacho

Rashford

Edited by EFC-Paul

Not many would have heard of let alone thought Lukaku would be so prolific and potentially command a monstrous fee a few years ago, he isn't the first and certainly won't be the last player to burst onto the scene so to name players is unrealistic for the most part as we won't know what talent is out there

A recent one being Gabriel Jesus again not many would have heard of him he didn't cost a fortune in today's game and in my opinion the lad will be top class

If I was to throw players into the mix who aren't as well known or playing week in week out I'd say

Mayoral

Sanabria

Barbosa

Correa

Ineanacho

Rashford

To play devils advocate here, if people didn't think Lukaku would become as good as he is then explain why Chelsea paid £18m for a 16 year old, no one invests that much money into someone so young if they didn't think they would make it. Obviously he wont be the last but if the whole argument of "lets sell him and replace him" I want to know who we should be looking at to replace him, back up the "sell him" side of the debate with the names you think would be better suited to their opinions.

You've literally named Football managers wonder kids, people have heard of them, Barbosa cost Inter 30m euros last summer, Correa is playing for Atletico regularly, Ineanacho and Rashford are held in high regard at their clubs, they wont be sold cheaply if at all and will start playing more. As for Gabriel Jesus, I agree will be top class, he cost £1m less than what Lukaku cost us. regardless of tv deals, £27m is still a lot of money for a player "who many wouldn't of heard of".

After his season at WBA, I had no doubt and the reason I was soooo excited when we signed him

To play devils advocate here, if people didn't think Lukaku would become as good as he is then explain why Chelsea paid £18m for a 16 year old, no one invests that much money into someone so young if they didn't think they would make it. Obviously he wont be the last but if the whole argument of "lets sell him and replace him" I want to know who we should be looking at to replace him, back up the "sell him" side of the debate with the names you think would be better suited to their opinions.

You've literally named Football managers wonder kids, people have heard of them, Barbosa cost Inter 30m euros last summer, Correa is playing for Atletico regularly, Ineanacho and Rashford are held in high regard at their clubs, they wont be sold cheaply if at all and will start playing more. As for Gabriel Jesus, I agree will be top class, he cost £1m less than what Lukaku cost us. regardless of tv deals, £27m is still a lot of money for a player "who many wouldn't of heard of".

They bought potential there's no need to explain a thing as no one questioned that the point was he was relatively unknown prior to that move to joe public and if they did think he would go onto become the player he is then explain why they sold him?

I don't play FM and I wouldn't class them a wonder kids just young-ish players with great potential, people have heard of them... really! I highly doubt that those names are common to most maybe people who play the likes of FM and Fifa often but most certainly wouldn't have bar the two Prem based players

I'm not sure why you mention the cost of Bardosa...it's obvious any of those mentioned wouldn't be cheap I've not said otherwise it's a moot point and irrelevant, I also didn't say all weren't playing regularly so I'm not sure why you've jumped the gun on Correa either who's only this season broken through

Is that the same Rashford that's behind an aging Rooney in the pecking order and how long will Ineanacho be happy playing third fiddle to Sergio and Jesus, I didn't question how highly their clubs hold them in regard that just reiterates why I've mentioned them but will both be happy and willing to probably be bit part players

Again I'm not sure why you're making points that I haven't even mentioned where did I bring up the fee we paid for Lukaku?

Are those players known to the masses... no

Did everyone know Lukaku would become the player his is whilst on the fringes at Chelsea.... no

Edited by EFC-Paul

You are right... it is Steve walshes job.

Unfortunately in this game whoever we select or think is right may not be the person we go for.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that any player valued at £28m would be of a calibre which is way and above the absolute dross we just took the piss out of.

Let's be honest.... When Rooney was 1t/16 some managers in the game had heard about his reputation but only our backroom staff knee just how good he was.

That ability to be as secretive just isn't there anymore... youth games are recorded. Scouting is so accurate now.

Paul, he mentioned fees because Haf said we could replace Lukaku with the original £28m fee, and Aaron asked who he had in mind and then you went on to list players.

It was in the reply to me thought it was an odd comment tbh

Pretty sure there's talent out there at a fraction finding its another thing though

he won't answer you, i've asked before and he doesn't have names just "someone anyone better than rom". grass is always greener kinda guy.

he won't answer you, i've asked before and he doesn't have names just "someone anyone better than rom". grass is always greener kinda guy.

So all the posts about getting defoe for free, lacazette, rashford part exchange, inaki williams etc were just a dream?

Inaki no, belotti jury is still out, although Haf my old friend I will give you one on Bas Dost. That guy scores goals everywhere he goes and honestly I'd be fine with signing him. He's not better than Lukaku but he finds the net. I think he's scored something like 24 goals and 3 assists in 23 matches in Portugal. Was scoring at will in the bundesliga too and still only 27 years old. He's worth a 15m punt I think.

Ah hem...

the only one i said could maybe do it under 28m who is a massive maybe is Bas dost, the rest were misses or pipe dreams. Lacazette is worth 60m not 28, belotti above 28 as well. but bas dost is just an andy caroll type, woudln't work in our system anyways. Inaki is ok but having a terrible year with little goals.

who in reality for 28m could we sign?

I can identify all those players in 5 minutes on Football manager. Every club's main forums are calling for their clubs to sign those strikers this summer. We won't get them.

And so this is why we're paying Steve Walsh millions. It's his job to identify players which will suit Everton and bring them in. He'd better do it this summer.

I can identify all those players in 5 minutes on Football manager. Every club's main forums are calling for their clubs to sign those strikers this summer. We won't get them.

And so this is why we're paying Steve Walsh millions. It's his job to identify players which will suit Everton and bring them in. He'd better do it this summer.

I think it's extremely unlikely we're paying him that much personally. Decent wedge no doubt but not millions.

I think the key kicker is Everton were the only club who were prepared to pay £28m for him. Simple as that.

We were his only option if he wanted to play football.

It's probably the reason he has always talked about moving since he got here. We weren't his ideal club and took me hasn't he let it show.

I maintain that his level of footballing ability is poor. It is way below the standard you expect from a premier league player.

When you compare his passing, control, hold up play, aerial ability, work rate to a player like kone or valencia it looks a level below. It is only because of his athleticism and finishing that he is who he is.

For me I expect our next forward to have a footballing ability above the likes of Valencia with with a good level of finishing. I believe we would flourish as a team I really do.

If man United are interested I would demand Marcus Rashford as part of the deal. I believe he is destined for the absolute top.

He doesn't need those attributes though because he is there to score goals, and he's scored more than any other player in the league this season yet you still want to pull him apart in any way you possibly can because you can't accept everything you said about him was wrong.

Lets have a Kone or Deeney or the likes up front who can hold the ball up better and has a better touch but score 10 a season and fuck a 20 plus a season striker off. Makes perfect sense that doesn't it.

No matter how much money we have to spend we wont attract a striker of Lukakus prowess in the summer because they'll go to clubs playing in the cl.

Someone who's a clinical finisher but a rough footballer. He's certainly improved but he couldn't lace the boots of any of the above mentioned players in terms of all round ability.

He's a tier below those. He's going to be a Drogba type player at best. Yes up there with the elite but unorthodox and not easy on the eye. He is improving though. He's improved 10 fold since he came here.

Absolutely spot on s qn and we wont get another guaranteed 20 a season player to replace him very easy.

He doesn't need those attributes though because he is there to score goals, and he's scored more than any other player in the league this season yet you still want to pull him apart in any way you possibly can because you can't accept everything you said about him was wrong.

Lets have a Kone or Deeney or the likes up front who can hold the ball up better and has a better touch but score 10 a season and fuck a 20 plus a season striker off. Makes perfect sense that doesn't it.

No matter how much money we have to spend we wont attract a striker of Lukakus prowess in the summer because they'll go to clubs playing in the cl.

He does need those attributes if we are playing a lone striker because quite simply he gives the ball away far too often, he doesnt win his duels enough and he doesnt make intelligent runs that help him evade the attention of better defenders.

At least we are getting somewhere in the sense that you agree he isnt rounded and is basically a finisher... ive been saying this all along.

Ive also been saying that being a finisher and an all round player isnt mutually exclusive.

I couldnt care less if our next striker doesnt get 20 goals in a season... what i care about is our next striker scores goals, contributes to the team, brings in other players and as a result we find that we are able to use him to build attacks and not contribute to them breaking down.

There is an obsession that a striker needs to score 20 goals a season for the team to do well. Not necessarily... as proven in an article i posted weeks ago.

Shearer - newcastle, Dion dublin - coventry, jimmy floyd - leeds, kevin phillips - sunderland, jimmy floyd - chelsea

From 1996 to 2001 they were the top goalscorers in the league... marcus stewart from ipswich came runner up to jfh in 2001 on 18 goals. Not one of those teams won the league or came close.

Getting in a player who works hard up front does not mean we have to sign a kone or a naismith.... mario madzukic is reknown for his team ethic and all round ability as he is for his goal scoring.

Its not like he just decided overnight after costing a few bob that he better put in a shift ... hes always been a worker and a finisher. Scouting unearths these players.

Edited by Hafnia

He does need those attributes if we are playing a lone striker because quite simply he gives the ball away far too often, he doesnt win his duels enough and he doesnt make intelligent runs that help him evade the attention of better defenders.

At least we are getting somewhere in the sense that you agree he isnt rounded and is basically a finisher... ive been saying this all along.

Ive also been saying that being a finisher and an all round player isnt mutually exclusive.

I couldnt care less if our next striker doesnt get 20 goals in a season... what i care about is our next striker scores goals, contributes to the team, brings in other players and as a result we find that we are able to use him to build attacks and not contribute to them breaking down.

There is an obsession that a striker needs to score 20 goals a season for the team to do well. Not necessarily... as proven in an article i posted weeks ago.

Shearer - newcastle, Dion dublin - coventry, jimmy floyd - leeds, kevin phillips - sunderland, jimmy floyd - chelsea

From 1996 to 2001 they were the top goalscorers in the league... marcus stewart from ipswich came runner up to jfh in 2001 on 18 goals. Not one of those teams won the league or came close.

Getting in a player who works hard up front does not mean we have to sign a kone or a naismith.... mario madzukic is reknown for his team ethic and all round ability as he is for his goal scoring.

Its not like he just decided overnight after costing a few bob that he better put in a shift ... hes always been a worker and a finisher. Scouting unearths these players.

Maybe "not necessarily," but more often than not it is true.

That was a long time ago and a small sample size-- if you look past that year you'll see that probably 90% of the top scorers' teams finished higher up the table. There's definitely a correlation between having a top goal scorer (20ish+ goals) and a higher league position.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Maybe "not necessarily," but more often than not it is true.

That was a long time ago and a small sample size-- if you look past that year you'll see that probably 90% of the top scorers' teams finished higher up the table. There's definitely a correlation between having a top goal scorer (20ish+ goals) and a higher league position.

If a team scores 35 goals over a season... they are getting relegated. If one player scores all those goals... hes a hero but ultimately the team are still relegated.

A highly improbable scenario. But conversely we got 4th place with tim cahill our top scorer with 11 goals. RVP the same tally with arsenal.

If a team scores 35 goals over a season... they are getting relegated. If one player scores all those goals... hes a hero but ultimately the team are still relegated.

A highly improbable scenario. But conversely we got 4th place with tim cahill our top scorer with 11 goals. RVP the same tally with arsenal.

we're shooting higher than 4th mate. if that's your "trophy" then no wonder you don't like lukaku.

Once again you're looking at outliers and not trends. There will always be outliers but the trend tells the true story.

Guys... let's put this down now.

Who's the top scorer on the league so far?

Where is that team at the moment?

Who's top of the league?

How many goals has their top scorer?

Does Lukaku mean success?

Last time we won the league who was our top scorer?

With how many?

Will Lukakus goals help? Anyone would be stupid to think they wouldn't.

Will the guarantee us anything...whatsoever?

Anyone would be stupid to think they would.

We need to build our team. Keeping Lukaku is one step, but means nothing without help.

Selling him is another answer, as long as we spend the money on reinforcements.

Can we get another Lukaku for the money? Of course we can, this is football and Lukaku is a top seven player so far. Unproven above... some would say failure to date. Is he one of the best in world?

No, not yet. What has he done? Answer to date is pretty much nothing. Not won anything, not doing anything internationally.

He's a very good player and one we would like to keep. But not the end of the world if he goes. We're Everton... much much bigger than Lukaku.

He is like a leaf on a tree. We are the tree!