IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

:rolleyes: 

still not our player :) 

Nope.... he wasn't last august either. But that didn't stop the "look at him go... isn'tt he great" posts....

I'm just being a bit of a smug git. I knew the honeymoon would be over pretty quick. In fairness I never expected him to fit the critical description I provided so accurately. 

Any bets on his next club? I'm gonna guess someone like sevilla, galatasaray....

3 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Nope.... he wasn't last august either. But that didn't stop the "look at him go... isn'ttt he great" posts....

I'm just being a bit of a smug git. I knew the honeymoon would be over pretty quick. In fairness I never expected him to fit the critical description I provided so accurately. 

Any bets on his next club? I'm gonna guess someone like sevilla, galatasaray....

Couldn't care less

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Couldn't care less

I couldn't.... unless we get a percentage sell on fee.... that said I can't see him going for more money than he cost.  Even in this hyperinflated market. 

Reckon next year he will be off.  He's not top 4 quality. 

The noise from last night was the bewilderment from United fans that he seemed to moan at his team mates whilst doing the square foot of nothing.   I kinda admire that in a strange way. It shows a completely bomb proof confidence which belies his ability. 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

I couldn't.... unless we get a percentage sell on fee.... that said I can't see him going for more money than he cost.  Even in this hyperinflated market. 

Reckon next year he will be off.  He's not top 4 quality. 

The noise from last night was the bewilderment from United fans that he seemed to moan at his team mates whilst doing the square foot of nothing.   I kinda admire that in a strange way. It shows a completely bomb proof confidence which belies his ability. 

I don't miss those days!!!

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Do miss the goals though. Thought the midfield were going to pick up the slack and he was holding them back?

Whole different discussion that I'm not getting drawn into, thank you very much!

(Although not sure about the midfield thing...haa that been said???)

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Do miss the goals though. Thought the midfield were going to pick up the slack and he was holding them back?

The same is being said about lukaku at man United - his movement is so poor. 

He makes it very difficult for the midfielders to pick the right passes as he doesn't make the right runs. 

0 goals in 6 games vs top 6 this season. 

From joining us till now he has played 35 games vs the supposed big 6 and scored 5 goals.

I said after  less than 1 season he was poor against better sides.... he truly is. 

Flat track bully. Needs players to find him - he doesnt help them by making runs. £90m is great money for him... Great money. 

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Whole different discussion that I'm not getting drawn into, thank you very much!

(Although not sure about the midfield thing...haa that been said???)

Yup, it was said a few times. 

Anyway, not our player, not out problem. Just wish the 60% of goals we scored that he contributed to had been taken by others, if not someone else. 

On 02/02/2018 at 13:02, Matt said:

Yup, it was said a few times. 

Anyway, not our player, not out problem. Just wish the 60% of goals we scored that he contributed to had been taken by others, if not someone else. 

If he was here he would probably have scored or involved in 70% of our goals and have about 11 to his name but I'm not arsed about that.  

As a team we would be in a shit state....would he have scored those "scrappy - bust a gut to make a defender make a mistake" goals that niasse has done? Or enabled our disjointed midfield to push on with his pressing and hold up play? No. He would be throwing diva like sulks which is starting to show in a United shirt. 

I don't think we would be in a good place at all of he was here.  We lost Gareth Barry and with losing that player we lost a huge stabilising factor. 

Extract from match report Man U v Huddersfield in today's Telegraph Sport.

Headline: LUKAKU FACES FIGHT TO REMAIN UNITED REGULAR

Extract:  Lukaku's near post finish from Juan Mata's cross was very well taken, but the Belgium striker was mostly a lumbering presence and, at times, it is easy to believe that Uniteds attack would be more fluent, more nimble and quicker thinking without him always leading the line.

(Lukaku was subbed after 77 mins)

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Extract from match report Man U v Huddersfield in today's Telegraph Sport.

Headline: LUKAKU FACES FIGHT TO REMAIN UNITED REGULAR

Extract:  Lukaku's near post finish from Juan Mata's cross was very well taken, but the Belgium striker was mostly a lumbering presence and, at times, it is easy to believe that Uniteds attack would be more fluent, more nimble and quicker thinking without him always leading the line.

(Lukaku was subbed after 77 mins)

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure he's started every PL game for them this season and I can't remember another occasion when he was subbed, so Mourinho obviously quite likes him; which is somewhat more relevant than a Telegraph sports hack's opinion;).

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure he's started every PL game for them this season and I can't remember another occasion when he was subbed, so Mourinho obviously quite likes him; which is somewhat more relevant than a Telegraph sports hack's opinion;).

I think the point was that they have now got Sanchez there and his fleet of foot and speed of thought is highlighting just how 'lumbering' a presence Lukaku is.

17 hours ago, johnh said:

I think the point was that they have now got Sanchez there and his fleet of foot and speed of thought is highlighting just how 'lumbering' a presence Lukaku is.

And if Mourinho pointed out that fact it'd be news, but while it's just some bloke sat at a keyboard (does Haf work at the Telegraph?) speculating it's not reality is it? It's just his effort at filling his column inches commitment before he can get to the pub:D.

• 2 weeks later...

Big game tonight.... yep he was anonymous and wasted a great chance. Awful hold up play and mourinho called him over to give him a bollicking... lukaku responded with arms up in the air gestures.  The mild mannered mata lost his shit with him too.

Btw.... the fella in goal for the mancs is a bit good.  What a save he did tonight. Superb reactions.  Closest keeper to big nev in terms of shot stopping. 

On 21/02/2018 at 20:59, hafnia said:

Big game tonight.... yep he was anonymous and wasted a great chance.

But not today; my fault, I dropped him from my fantasy team so it was always going to happen. Scored one, assisted one and had a Rooney-esque bicycle kick brilliantly saved:rolleyes:.

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But not today; my fault, I dropped him from my fantasy team so it was always going to happen. Scored one, assisted one and had a Rooney-esque bicycle kick brilliantly saved:rolleyes:.

He played well today, the pace he showed at the end of the game to run the clock down was incredible!

33 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I believe he was good today. Been at speke hall so didn't get to see it.

I still fancy myself for the top 6 goals bet with Pad.

Infuriating player. A player with his athletic attributes should be better far more often than he is. 

Watched it Haf he was good today I think you would have been impressed. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Watched it Haf he was good today I think you would have been impressed. 

When he has one of those games he is impressive..... the issue is that those games are very infrequent - especially against the better teams.

He needs to have a full head of steam to be at his best. He doesn't get like that enough though.... his talent levels are not that great.  He's not a le tissier /berbatov player who can play with a pipe and slippers and do something sublime with a general nonchalance.... He needs to use all his physicality and get some aggression. 

49 minutes ago, hafnia said:

When he has one of those games he is impressive..... the issue is that those games are very infrequent - especially against the better teams.

He needs to have a full head of steam to be at his best. He doesn't get like that enough though.... his talent levels are not that great.  He's not a le tissier /berbatov player who can play with a pipe and slippers and do something sublime with a general nonchalance.... He needs to use all his physicality and get some aggression. 

I know where you’re coming from it was highlighted pre-match. 

On 2/3/2018 at 09:36, hafnia said:

If he was here he would probably have scored or involved in 70% of our goals and have about 11 to his name but I'm not arsed about that.  

As a team we would be in a shit state....would he have scored those "scrappy - bust a gut to make a defender make a mistake" goals that niasse has done? Or enabled our disjointed midfield to push on with his pressing and hold up play? No. He would be throwing diva like sulks which is starting to show in a United shirt. 

I don't think we would be in a good place at all of he was here.  We lost Gareth Barry and with losing that player we lost a huge stabilising factor. 

A lot of good he's doing West Brom.

20 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I don't have a problem losing him as he was slowing dramatically..... the issue is the fact we never replaced what he gave us.

Exactly when you let a player go that played a pivotal role you need to replace them. 

Unless of course you let them go because you’re changing the system and they don’t fit in, but weren’t Schneiderlin and Gana brought into replace Barry  and  McCarthy. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

The Lukaku effect? :fishing:

• Manchester United's 2-1 win over Liverpool means Jose Mourinho's side have won four of their eight games against fellow 'big six' sides in the Premier League this season (won four, drew one, lost three), twice as many as they managed in the whole of last season (won two, drew four, lost four).

Lukaku effect? Ha ha.  What position has he been playing??? Centre half? He scored 1 goal in those games. Went missing in most of them. 

Maybe you need to watch these games to see that it's down to United's defence.

Matic effect more like. 

After nearly every one of these top 6 games he attracted criticism for not doing enough.... so much so that he came out with whinging about it.