IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

It's had new skirts all round so normal undercoat then eggshell on top- dries in 2 hours is water based so no need for turps/mess and stays crisp white much longer. I'll never use gloss again.

Indeed he's 10 so not quite a teenager but growing fast.

Yeah, I remember my step son stepping into his teenage years. Out with the boyish blues and car pics, in with the serious grey tones and adult colours!!!

Turning into a man, Paddy! (Bit early mind!)

You don't get caught Offside as often as Rom without making runs. Highlights the lack of a decent timed ball as well.. Looking at you Barkley.

Did you read what I posted.

I said before that he tends to run in a straight line not even considering where the defenders are. He doesn't drop or feign, doesn't bend his runs... his movement is poor.

Did you read what I posted.

I said before that he tends to run in a straight line not even considering where the defenders are. He doesn't drop or feign, doesn't bend his runs... his movement is poor.

Timing is everything. The rest is to find you an extra second. Our midfield has let Rom down.

Timing is everything. The rest is to find you an extra second. Our midfield has let Rom down.

Yeah yeah Pete.... did you know that lukaku has over twice as many offside as Kane?

Did you also know that lukaku has been caught offside a ridiculous amount from defenders playing the long ball? Sheer laziness in getting back in position. Watch the amount of times a pass isnt made because hes offside.

Interesting stat.... he's made 8 tackles all season..... Kane made 21 despite playing in a supposedly more offensive team and having played 7 matches less.

Edited by Hafnia

Yeah yeah Pete.... did you know that lukaku has over twice as many offside as Kane?

Did you also know that lukaku has been caught offside a ridiculous amount from defenders playing the long ball? Sheer laziness in getting back in position. Watch the amount of times a pass isnt made because hes offside.

Interesting stat.... he's made 8 tackles all season..... Kane made 21 despite playing in a supposedly more offensive team and having played 7 matches less.

Funny how Lukaku has scored more from open play. Move on.

Funny how Lukaku has scored more from open play. Move on.

Is it? Not really.... kanes missed 3 months of the season. Hed be out of sight if he played the same number of games.... well into the 30's.

Edited by Hafnia

Offsides are down to a multitude of things e.g. poor runs, mistimed passes. Long ball offsides again can be down to striker pressing high and being caught quickly, or worse being to keen to get involved from an offside position (being lazy here helps! Don't interfere not offside) - again different styles of play. Tackling stats id have to agree does look poor. However, this can be explained as a striker making a tackle often relies on other forwards (Everton rarely play 2) or midfielders pushing up / pressing together like Liverpool & Spurs do. If Rom does this on his own he won't win a tackle but will run round like a headless chicken expending all his energy. Haf - it's lies, damn lies and statistics- you can use them to prove any arguement. Edited by barryj

Offsides are down to a multitude of things e.g. poor runs, mistimed passes. Long ball offsides again can be down to striker pressing high and being caught quickly, or worse being to keen to get involved from an offside position (being lazy here helps! Don't interfere not offside) - again different styles of play. Tackling stats id have to agree does look poor. However, this can be explained as a striker making a tackle often relies on other forwards (Everton rarely play 2) or midfielders pushing up / pressing together like Liverpool & Spurs do. If Rom does this on his own he won't win a tackle but will run round like a headless chicken expending all his energy. Haf - it's lies, damn lies and statistics- you can use them to prove any arguement.

Lukaku pressing high? Haha! More like lost the ball... the team counter and the defence intercept and launch it and he's off. Pressing? With 8 tackles made all season? I think not.

Paint it any way you want.... the lad has poor movement. Koeman eluded to it today along with his pressing.

He's always offside because Barkley never lets the ball go early enough.

That's Lukakus fault as well.

I would say they are both at fault for it.

Lukakus runs are usually shit, he can only do a straight line.

Barkley holds onto the ball and looks for the safest option, rather than trying to release early.

Neither of them are top of their game. Both have things to learn.

I would say they are both at fault for it.

Lukakus runs are usually shit, he can only do a straight line.

Barkley holds onto the ball and looks for the safest option, rather than trying to release early.

Neither of them are top of their game. Both have things to learn.

Of course they are- Lukaku is by no means above critisism in it, he does get caught offside a lot. But trust me (and I'm sure most match going regulars will agree here) Lukaku makes a LOT of runs and the ball never goes to him so he's not solely to blame for the amount of offsides he gets.

He makes lots of runs.... they are just ridiculous. They are so lacking in invention it's untrue.

Yeah fans are gonna say "look at Rom running pointing".... yeah but how the fuck does he expect the midfielder to make a pass through 2 players or over the two players and have it stop up so that it doesn't go out for a goal kick.

That's what happens.

If someone can find me a team that has scored more than 10 goals all season from through balls then you will be doing well.... so why is that the only run he makes?

He makes lots of runs.... they are just ridiculous. They are so lacking in invention it's untrue.

Yeah fans are gonna say "look at Rom running pointing".... yeah but how the fuck does he expect the midfielder to make a pass through 2 players or over the two players and have it stop up so that it doesn't go out for a goal kick.

That's what happens.

If someone can find me a team that has scored more than 10 goals all season from through balls then you will be doing well.... so why is that the only run he makes?

Haf- no offence mate but you don't go the game so how can you possibly know that?

I'm not for one second saying because I go and you don't your opinion is any less relevant but I watch him week in week out and there is nothing wrong with his runs. What's wrong is we don't have nyone intelligent or good enough to spot them or pick them out. The reason Davies has been such a revelation is the fact he can see an early first time pass and make it. Barkley holds on to the ball far too long, head down and blinkered he looks up the pass is on but he drops his head again 2 more touches the defender has stepped up and Lukaku is in no mans land.

I watch it time and time again.

Haf- no offence mate but you don't go the game so how can you possibly know that?

I'm not for one second saying because I go and you don't your opinion is any less relevant but I watch him week in week out and there is nothing wrong with his runs. What's wrong is we don't have nyone intelligent or good enough to spot them or pick them out. The reason Davies has been such a revelation is the fact he can see an early first time pass and make it. Barkley holds on to the ball far too long, head down and blinkered he looks up the pass is on but he drops his head again 2 more touches the defender has stepped up and Lukaku is in no mans land.

its got nothing to do with going the game or not, because I see the same a you

Yes you do get a different perspective at the game. You also get a refreshed perspective watching a game twice which I often do.

My opinion is not invalidated because I'm not at the game. Im able to watch and appreciate Harry kanes movement and I don't go to spurs games.

Lukakus movement is shit.... it really is. He doesn't even try and get in front of his man on crosses... honestly it's so basic is it's failings.

No offence but it's a common criticism of Lukaku that his runs are bland and blank, by most football pundits and analysts.

It's possible that they all miss his... other runs.. which are bang on point.

It does seem that half of our fans see more in him and half see less. Truth is he is probably somewhere in the middle.

its got nothing to do with going the game or not, because I see the same a you

The point I'm making Matt is even when you watch on the telly you don't his running off the ball because the camera wont be on him. You get a much better perspective at the game as I'm sure you did on the games you attended this seasom but to not go and so comprehensively dismiss his running is just ridiculous and shows Haf is just saying anything to discredit him without actually going the game to assess it properly.

No offence but it's a common criticism of Lukaku that his runs are bland and blank, by most football pundits and analysts.

It's possible that they all miss his... other runs.. which are bang on point.

It does seem that half of our fans see more in him and half see less. Truth is he is probably somewhere in the middle.

The same pundits who watch a 15 minute highlight reel or your Danny Murphys of this world who spout utter wham.

He has his faults, everyone does but his runs are no worse than any other premier league striker. The difference is Arsenal have Ozil and Sanchez, Liverpool Coutinho and Firminho, City Silva and De Bruyne, Chelsea Hazard and Pedro, Spurs have Ali and Erikksen - we have Barkley who is a headless chicken 90% of the time.

Yes you do get a different perspective at the game. You also get a refreshed perspective watching a game twice which I often do.

My opinion is not invalidated because I'm not at the game. Im able to watch and appreciate Harry kanes movement and I don't go to spurs games.

Lukakus movement is shit.... it really is. He doesn't even try and get in front of his man on crosses... honestly it's so basic is it's failings.

Seemy previous post for points on who strikers have behind them. I didn't say your opinion was invalid but you can't be so absolutely dismissive like that when you don't go and watch him in the flesh. You can watch it on tv a thousand times but if the camera isn't on him when he makes 20 runs a game then you'll never aee it will you.

Fact is you just don't like him and you've refused to accept you were wrong about him on every level.we'll treble our money on him, he's broken every scoring record over the last 30 years and has rattled 20 plus a season for us. All those things are fact but because you've nailed your colours so tightly to the mast you have nowhere to go but to critisise the lad for anything and everything whilst excusing players like Kone and Barkley for their failings.

The same pundits who watch a 15 minute highlight reel or your Danny Murphys of this world who spout utter wham.

He has his faults, everyone does but his runs are no worse than any other premier league striker. The difference is Arsenal have Ozil and Sanchez, Liverpool Coutinho and Firminho, City Silva and De Bruyne, Chelsea Hazard and Pedro, Spurs have Ali and Erikksen - we have Barkley who is a headless chicken 90% of the time.

No mate, I mean the ones who's job it is to watch the whole match and analyse it.

I agree that you get a different perspective at the game - mainly because you choose who or what you watch rather than the camera selecting your action. I will always watch extended highlights after the match too as you can also pick up on the bits you may have missed or wanted a closer look at.

I would say Pad's spot on regarding Barkley often being guilty of holding onto the ball for too long and slowing down the tempo and his assessment of Lukaku often gets into good positions without getting the ball or goes early and ends up offside as a result of the ball not being released early enough; yes Lukaku could curve runs etc but the ball could also be released sooner. What I will say is that Lukaku will often get frustrated when he's made a few of these runs - this is when the pointing and arms start going.

Edited by c1982

Seemy previous post for points on who strikers have behind them. I didn't say your opinion was invalid but you can't be so absolutely dismissive like that when you don't go and watch him in the flesh. You can watch it on tv a thousand times but if the camera isn't on him when he makes 20 runs a game then you'll never aee it will you.

Fact is you just don't like him and you've refused to accept you were wrong about him on every level.we'll treble our money on him, he's broken every scoring record over the last 30 years and has rattled 20 plus a season for us. All those things are fact but because you've nailed your colours so tightly to the mast you have nowhere to go but to critisise the lad for anything and everything whilst excusing players like Kone and Barkley for their failings.

The fact is you like him... his goals have intoxicated you and maybe my non attendance of matches over the past few years has meant I've got a sanitised view of him. There is nothing like watching soneone score at the game.

This sanitised view means he doesn't get the unconditional love his goals buy for many match going fans.... however a shed load of match going fans have had a belly full of him. A shed load of these fans don't see the hype.

I couldn't give a shit if he's broken a 30 year record... if he broke a 30 year record that surpassed strikers of the Ilk that Everton should have been buying and not strikers who cost peanuts and were playing in shit teams then fair enough.

Everton are emerging out of a dark time. A long period where we seen shite like mark hughes, John Spencer, mik madar, Nick Chadwick, play.... then a period under David moyes where goodison was treated to strikers being converted into makeshift wingers and decoys for attacking midfielders like Cahill and Fellaini to profit from their redeployment.

Essentially fans have started focussing on the goal scoring achievements of the player rather than the team itself... which is ironically what the player himself does.

I look forward to watching us have a striker with the all round game that we need with the attitude of a Stephen naismith. Tired of rom ... yes I do not like him. He makes it hard for fans to like him because at the end of the day he doesn't really get Everton... he's in it for himself.

Edited by Hafnia

The fact is you like him... his goals have intoxicated you and maybe my non attendance of matches over the past few years has meant I've got a sanitised view of him. There is nothing like watching soneone score at the game.

This sanitised view means he doesn't get the unconditional love his goals buy for many match going fans.... however a shed load of match going fans have had a belly full of him. A shed load of these fans don't see the hype.

I couldn't give a shit if he's broken a 30 year record... if he broke a 30 year record that surpassed strikers of the Ilk that Everton should have been buying and not strikers who cost peanuts and were playing in shit teams then fair enough.

Everton are emerging out of a dark time. A long period where we seen shite like mark hughes, John Spencer, mik madar, Nick Chadwick, play.... then a period under David moyes where goodison was treated to strikers being converted into makeshift wingers and decoys for attacking midfielders like Cahill and Fellaini to profit from their redeployment.

Essentially fans have started focussing on the goal scoring achievements of the player rather than the team itself... which is ironically what the player himself does.

I look forward to watching us have a striker with the all round game that we need with the attitude of a Stephen naismith. Tired of rom ... yes I do not like him. He makes it hard for fans to like him because at the end of the day he doesn't really get Everton... he's in it for himself.

Fact is i don't particularly "like" him. I don't get attached to players like that. I don't like his attitude at times, I don't like his touch at times, I don't like the fact he mouths off to the press at times and I will be happy when he's sold as I don't want players playing for us who don't want to be here.

What I do recognise though is that we have a proven goalscorer at long last and I also recognise if we had a better midfield behind him he'd score more goals and I've enjoyed watching him in an Everton shirt. I've also enjoyed the fact we haveva striker that worries teams before we've even kicked a ball.

What I wont do though is try and blame him for absolutely everything because of the things I listed in my forst paragraph. You are massively over critical of him Pete, you showed your hand early and systematically you have been proven wrong time and time again and you are picking and choosing your arguments and points about him. Anything he does wrong you are all over it but excuse other players then when he does somehing good you dismiss it as a bare minimum of expectation but again praise other players for exactly the same thing.

The comments you make about his runs are not valid. You can watch as many games as you want on TV but you don't see the full picture you just see what the camera shows you- you can watch it a gazillion times, it wont help if he's not shown on camera, it has nothing to do with me being taken in by his goals, I'm a grown man and I'm way past being taken in by players grabbing the glory. I base it on a balanced opinion of the lad- sometimes he is good, others average others still he's poor but I try and be balanced.

Stating a balanced opinion isn't necessarily a correct one.

I have said time and time again that he is an unerringly good finisher and a superbly gifted athlete.

Taking all this into account there is absolutely no way I rate him anywhere near the level he's been hyped to be.... goals create hype and he has benefited from this.

If you want to see how Rom operates with a top class midfield... watch the Belgium games. His movement is shown up for what it really is - shite. He finds his way into defenders pockets because he simply does not have the nouse to evade them.

Simple as that.

Edited by Hafnia

Stating a balanced opinion isn't necessarily a correct one.

I have said time and time again that he is an unerringly good finisher and a superbly gifted athlete.

Taking all this into account there is absolutely no way I rate him anywhere near the level he's been hyped to be.... goals create hype and he has benefited from this.

If you want to see how Rom operates with a top class midfield... watch the Belgium games. His movement is shown up for what it really is - shite. He finds his way into defenders pockets because he simply does not have the nouse to evade them.

Simple as that.

No opinion is correct, it's an opinion and that's alls it can ever be as they differ from person to person but a balanced one is how I prefer to base mine.

Everyone who plays upfront for Belgium struggles.

No opinion is correct, it's an opinion and that's alls it can ever be as they differ from person to person but a balanced one is how I prefer to base mine.

Everyone who plays upfront for Belgium struggles.

Lukaku scores or assists a goal every 113 minutes for Belgium. Takes Kane 153 minutes per contribution for England. Edited by pete0