IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

In 1983 I travelled from my companies head office in Windsor to Liverpool for a meeting with Mersey Docks and Harbour Board at their offices at the Pier Head. It was a Thursday and on my way back I decided to call in at my old school, St Matthews in Richard Kelly Drive (not posh). I had a nice chat with the Headmaster who told me that the school was closing the very next day due to school reorganisations. How weird was that? I left in 1951 and just happened to call in on the day before it closed for good.

In 1983 I travelled from my companies head office in Windsor to Liverpool for a meeting with Mersey Docks and Harbour Board at their offices at the Pier Head. It was a Thursday and on my way back I decided to call in at my old school, St Matthews in Richard Kelly Drive (not posh). I had a nice chat with the Headmaster who told me that the school was closing the very next day due to school reorganisations. How weird was that? I left in 1951 and just happened to call in on the day before it closed for good.

John, you're like the forums Uncle Albert mate. ?

Love your stories though bud, that was meant as a joke and hope no offfence was taken ?

very happy with that. if pogba was 89m you bet your ass Rom is worth every cent of that 100m. great move by the club and let's hope he plays another couple years or we get a king's ransom.

Wow that's astronomical, but is it realistic? Will someone pay that?

I agree losing Lukaku would be a huge setback for Everton, but I'm not entirely convinced Lukaku will thrive playing for a different team where he has better support. I've seen him play with De Bruyne and Hazard (and Mertens and Carrasco) behind him for Belgium and there's been quite a few times I've seen De Bruyne and Hazard frustrated because Lukaku couldn't keep up with their quick feet and quick thinking. He's better of staying at Everton, a club and a style of play that really suit him.

I see him leaving as a lose-lose situation. Worse for him, worse for us.

I agree losing Lukaku would be a huge setback for Everton, but I'm not entirely convinced Lukaku will thrive playing for a different team where he has better support. I've seen him play with De Bruyne and Hazard (and Mertens and Carrasco) behind him for Belgium and there's been quite a few times I've seen De Bruyne and Hazard frustrated because Lukaku couldn't keep up with their quick feet and quick thinking. He's better of staying at Everton, a club and a style of play that really suit him.

I see him leaving as a lose-lose situation. Worse for him, worse for us.

Agreed re the "better players" and their interplay with him.

When Belgium play better teams they try and play quick one touch football - he can't adapt to it. He wants balls crossed over or through balls played through. Dropping deep and linking is not his game.

Have Belgium beaten any top sides? Given the amount of talent they seem to struggle.

Either way £100m will not be met. It's a few designed to ensure we get £80m which is what we wanted in the summer I believe.

Griezmann will go for less.

Look at that gap (85/86-16/17).

30 years to find a 20 goal a season player. Depressing.

This is the bit that many people are missing... lukaku isn't some sort of gift to the club in the way that 20 goal strikers are a rarity. There have been stacks of 20 goal strikers knocking around...

The awful fact is that lukaku represents a change in the club's operating style for the first time in all those years...we had absolute shite like John Spencer, mik madar, Nick Chadwick, mo Johnson, Brett angel, James beattie, a finished mark hughes....

Supported by lie tie, alexandersson, pembridge, gemmills, Tony grants.... fookin awful.

This is the bit that many people are missing... lukaku isn't some sort of gift to the club in the way that 20 goal strikers are a rarity. There have been stacks of 20 goal strikers knocking around...

The awful fact is that lukaku represents a change in the club's operating style for the first time in all those years...we had absolute shite like John Spencer, mik madar, Nick Chadwick, mo Johnson, Brett angel, James beattie, a finished mark hughes....

Supported by lie tie, alexandersson, pembridge, gemmills, Tony grants.... fookin awful.

But the point is we haven't had one of them, and the rest of the team haven't compensated for the lack of a prolific striker. This is why I am so patient / forgiving with Rom, and also why I'm very concerned about replacing his goals; I just don't see the current squad making up anywhere near enough goals

But the point is we haven't had one of them, and the rest of the team haven't compensated for the lack of a prolific striker. This is why I am so patient / forgiving with Rom, and also why I'm very concerned about replacing his goals; I just don't see the current squad making up anywhere near enough goals

I'm of the belief that a Louis saha of 2009 would be smashing in 20 plus goals in this team. That may well be debated and we will never know- but under moyes strikers had a hard time but the 5th midfielder had rich pickings.

Crazy as it sounds beckford would score a good number too.

The stagnation that has engulfed this club has meant lukaku is feted as some sort of super hero.

he is probably a better one on one finisher than lineker... movement isn't close. Has a better shot than lineker. The bottom line is he's a tremendous finisher. But I think yakubu was too.

Interested to see how we look with a different "high costing" striker.... only then will we know if my points are proven or not.

Edited by Hafnia

I'm of the belief that a Louis saha of 2009 would be smashing in 20 plus goals in this team. That may well be debated and we will never know- but under moyes strikers had a hard time but the 5th midfielder had rich pickings.

Crazy as it sounds beckford would score a good number too.

The stagnation that has engulfed this club has meant lukaku is feted as some sort of super hero.

he is probably a better one on one finisher than lineker... movement isn't close. Has a better shot than lineker. The bottom line is he's a tremendous finisher. But I think yakubu was too.

Interested to see how we look with a different "high costing" striker.... only then will we know if my points are proven or not.

Probably, but he isn't so we look at the actual reality.

I remember arguing with you in my early days here about Yakubu. He was the laziest player i've ever seen in a blue shirt by a mile - but he scored. At least, he did until he was asked to work a bit, then his goals disappeared

Probably, but he isn't so we look at the actual reality.

I remember arguing with you in my early days here about Yakubu. He was the laziest player i've ever seen in a blue shirt by a mile - but he scored. At least, he did until he was asked to work a bit, then his goals disappeared

The thing with yak was he was a shot in the arse for what we were used to... He was a pure finisher. Explosive, powerful... He wouldn't be tolerated now and that's why despite being a gifted finisher he moved down the league.

The game is changing so much... more is expected of all players in all positions.

Full backs need to be able to attack.... centre mids able to cover their centre halves and centre halves able to play up the field.

This £100m is aimed at Man Utd. I think it will be them who break the bank for him.

Look at their results this season and they are littered with draws against teams like West Brom, Hull, Burnley and Stoke. It has killed their title ambition and may have killed their Champions League place too.

Now look at how Lukaku has banged a hat full of goals against these types of teams and it makes absolute sense that they spend £100m on Lukaku. They desperately need a striker who will bully the mid table opposition and Lukaku is that player.

How deep will their pockets be after spending 150m on Griezman, Oblak and Carrasco from Athletico Madrid?

How deep will their pockets be after spending 150m on Griezman, Oblak and Carrasco from Athletico Madrid?

just goes to prove what a terrible manager mou is when it comes to player acquisitions and youngsters. his game plan everywhere is buy the biggest names have the largest payroll. hard to not do well with those players. if he was manager at soton he'd be relegated, he can't work with regular players and youngsters. has to have the biggest names.

just goes to prove what a terrible manager mou is when it comes to player acquisitions and youngsters. his game plan everywhere is buy the biggest names have the largest payroll. hard to not do well with those players. if he was manager at soton he'd be relegated, he can't work with regular players and youngsters. has to have the biggest names.

I would agree to a certain extent one thing I struggle with is his inability to include players on the periphery ... He has a touch of MON about him.

However.... He has proven over time that he knows the types of players he knows will improve his side... his problem is big personalities and what happens when they clash.

Selling Schneiderlin will prove to be one of his mistakes.... He didn't want to sell him but did. Herreria has looked good though.