IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Say what you will.

He wasn't there today. Poor.

And we can debate is as much as we like but when you have Redknapp, Neville, Souness, Carragher and Reid...all very good players with tonnes of top level exoerience...all saying the same thing about him. Everything that has been said before. It speaks for itself.

A great goalscorer. But nowhere near the level he either thinks he is at or aspires to be at.

Say what you will.

He wasn't there today. Poor.

And we can debate is as much as we like but when you have Redknapp, Neville, Souness, Carragher and Reid...all very good players with tonnes of top level exoerience...all saying the same thing about him. Everything that has been said before. It speaks for itself.

A great goalscorer. But nowhere near the level he either thinks he is at or aspires to be at.

Well put Newty.... it wasn't poor service it was pretty much abandonment of duties today. Against liverpool our most physically gifted player could not give a shit enough to be arsed to challenge dejan lovren... he should be made to watch that game again and then asked what he thinks about his supposed level of football.

How fucking predictably boring!

Everton were shite today , not one single player can hold their head up high after that

I can accept players having bad games... it happens. Rom just didn't bother today - he played like he wasn't giving a shit.

Not the first time we've seen this is it.... yet I don't see all these other players stalling on a contract and challenging the ambition of the club.

The cheeky fucker throes in a performance like that after challenging our ambition?

My thoughts on Lukaku at the moment are, and I'm not going to work on him here just because of yesterday, in fact, I'm not intending to criticise but be as constructive as possible from his own views and words.

Yes, as an Evertonian, I am grateful for the goals he has scored. They cannot be discounted. And as I said a while ago in this thread, I have long time accepted that this is the sort of player he will be. Let's be honest here, goalscorers, by the very nature of football, tend to receive a larger portion of plaudits. Plenty of times this season, you can bet Lukaku will have an average game but get the internationally coveted 'Toffee Talk Man of the Match' vote because he scores a goal. Come on, you know it's true! I've giggled to myself on numerous occasions about the predictability of it.

Anyway, from Lukaku's point of view. Yet again, in his own words, he speaks of ambition and wanting to play amongst the best in the Champions League because he believes he is on that level now. The spotlight turns to him. In turn, he puts pressure on himself from the media, fans, pundits.

The problem is that, more often than not, when he comes up against defenders that are of Champions League standard, he goes missing, gets marked out of the game and/or can't seem to find the space to score goals. Yes, he gets the odd goal (mainly against Man City...he likes them!!!), but looking back through his record over a few years, he struggles to score (his main role remember!) against teams who's defence is made up of title/cup winning defenders who play their trade at the highest level. It's stopped being a coincidence.

The things that many have said he struggles with...work rate and movement...make him easier to cancel out for top level defenders.

I think he's improved this season. But he still has some way to go. So his best place is here, where he is just on the edge of that top level and where he can grow, hopefully, as the team grows. Where fans love a traditional top goalscorer, where he'll get all the support and plaudits he craves. But, if he doesn't want to be here, I still say let him go and we move on.

I can accept players having bad games... it happens. Rom just didn't bother today - he played like he wasn't giving a shit.

Not the first time we've seen this is it.... yet I don't see all these other players stalling on a contract and challenging the ambition of the club.

The cheeky fucker throes in a performance like that after challenging our ambition?

So alukaku never bothered and all the rest had bad games.

Sound.

So alukaku never bothered and all the rest had bad games.

Sound.

In terms of "performance levels" nearly every player was 5 or 6 out of 10. Quite simply we were not good enough.... poor decisions, poor passing, not sharp enough.

In terms of effort levels - one player stood out all on his own as one complete and utter lazy fucker who I would struggle to give 1/10 for what I considered not turning up.

This is a derby..... most fans on here felt sick with nerves, probably thinking about it from over a week ago.... lukaku never showed any effort - none whatsoever. Lovren didn't put Rom in his pocket - rom climbed into his pocket.

Aiden suggested holding him to his 2 years... The way he showed yesterday I wouldn't hold him for 2 matches - we can't afford a finisher who shows up when he fancies because whether he likes it or not the top level involves playing top teams with top defenders.... lovren isn't even that good! He allowed him to nip in on him time after time.

Ever seen Rom outpaced? Maybe a couple of times by quick players - lovren outpaced him on a through ball.

If he tried he would be shouldering the blame with the rest of them who were just shit... But maybe if he tried it would be a different story.

Got a text off my mate this morning. He always rated lukaku since his hattrick for west brom vs liverpool.... it read "easy easy.... you were right about lukaku. Lads next to me were pissing themselves - made lovren look like beckenbauer and he's shit. He makes sturridge look energetic.... can we play you every week?"

I don't think he means it that way Pad it's the Lukaku thread and with his recent comments and from others he has more of the spotlight on him at the moment

Dunc, I don't have to name names it was a general slur the man gets far to much give when it comes to performances and his actions for me personally

I've already said I'd love him to stay here and I do rate him but I'm not blinded by his tally

I ran some analysis on this last year. Same story... The question should be "why?".... because the answer is that against top teams he does not put in the same effort. It's visible.

It stood out more clearly when we had naismith here.... That's why I loved him. The bigger the name the more he seemed to relish it.

I ran some analysis on this last year. Same story... The question should be "why?".... because the answer is that against top teams he does not put in the same effort. It's visible.

It stood out more clearly when we had naismith here.... That's why I loved him. The bigger the name the more he seemed to relish it.

Doesn't put the effort in or is simply out started by a better standard of defender? Probably, maybe, a bit of both.

Doesn't put the effort in or is simply out started by a better standard of defender? Probably, maybe, a bit of both.

For me I believe its a case of not fancying the dirty work required against better players.

Many occasions I seen drogba draw blanks against the likes of arsenal, United.... But he would cause their back 4's headaches - allow the midfield to press on which alleviated pressure. Was so often a reliable out ball for Terry and carvalho.

Rom was very poor yesterday but so was everyone. I dream one day of being able to put out a fully strength team in this type of game. We seriously lacked any creativity yesterday but Rom didn't go out and make anything happen either. I believe if and when the quality of our attacking midfielders improves then we'll have the right striker in Rom ahead of them.

You can have "Poor" exam results... poor because maybe nerves got the better of you and you had a bad nights sleep and all your hard work was forgotten - always felt sorry for those people.

Then you have people who know it's a big exam... fail to prepare and on the big day just sit there doodling cos they cant be arsed. It annoys the shit out of the teachers and insults those who work hard but fail.

You can have "Poor" exam results... poor because maybe nerves got the better of you and you had a bad nights sleep and all your hard work was forgotten - always felt sorry for those people.

Then you have people who know it's a big exam... fail to prepare and on the big day just sit there doodling cos they cant be arsed. It annoys the shit out of the teachers and insults those who work hard but fail.

Then you have those boring fuckers who harp on about the same thing over and over again and everyone in the class just wishes they'd be quiet.