IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Do you know what really fucked me off. Night before the season started I had Rom in my fantasy football team as I've had him in years gone by, as he's the only real forward goal threat we had and I changed him last minute, for Harry Kane (who I don't rate as high as a lot of people) but felt he could have done a job. So far that decision hasn't paid off. Kane you twat.

Do you know what really fucked me off. Night before the season started I had Rom in my fantasy football team as I've had him in years gone by, as he's the only real forward goal threat we had and I changed him last minute, for Harry Kane (who I don't rate as high as a lot of people) but felt he could have done a job. So far that decision hasn't paid off. Kane you twat.

Did the same thing....

Europe and League Cup don't count though, remember?

:fishing:

I was as angry with him as I was pleased with him last night.

The anger is more frustration becuase as far as I am concerned we are seeing the same things happen time and time again which turns him from a one man wrecking machine into a marshmallow man with lead boots.

There is no question he can finish - that is not even debatable, he can and will finish. The concern is what he does for the rest of the 89 minutes 45 seconds when he isn't having a shot from a potential goal scoring postition.

I don't want to hear any more nonsense about "it's the other players jobs to find him and give him a chance of scoring" because it ain't that simple. If that is all we needed from a striker then sign a Kevin Phillips or a Mickey Quinn for £7m and I will accept it. Just cash in and buy Chicharito for half the money if thats the case.

You can not escape the fact that one game he decides to have a real go and looks really impressive, shows his strength, willingness to make "smart" runs (not just pointing ahead of him) and earns the team a strong performance and with it MOTM. Then he is praised for making such efforts like he is suddenly improving.

Then in another game he decides "nah, not really up for this" - lazy half hearted effort, allowing a league one defender to look like Franco Beresi. Its an absolute disgrace. But all I read is "he scored thats his job" - its absolutely not. How many ways do people want it? If he isn't supposed to be the type of player who mucks in, bullies defenders and takes a leading role then don't praise him for it when he does. Likewise when he is deciding to wait for his team mates to do the hard work do not excuse him for that.

I will continue to be a tough critic till I see a continued effort from the lad, this picking and choosing games just doesnt sit right with me. It was as clear as day that he just wasn't up for it last night until a few players shamed him into doing something. He then suddenly thought "oohh I can get a goal here".

His second half rescued him from being slaughtered as it wasn't just everton fans who slated his first half - he was lucky to get a second half. I like what he says in his interviews, about time he starts backing it up.

I was as angry with him as I was pleased with him last night.

The anger is more frustration becuase as far as I am concerned we are seeing the same things happen time and time again which turns him from a one man wrecking machine into a marshmallow man with lead boots.

There is no question he can finish - that is not even debatable, he can and will finish. The concern is what he does for the rest of the 89 minutes 45 seconds when he isn't having a shot from a potential goal scoring postition.

I don't want to hear any more nonsense about "it's the other players jobs to find him and give him a chance of scoring" because it ain't that simple. If that is all we needed from a striker then sign a Kevin Phillips or a Mickey Quinn for £7m and I will accept it. Just cash in and buy Chicharito for half the money if thats the case.

You can not escape the fact that one game he decides to have a real go and looks really impressive, shows his strength, willingness to make "smart" runs (not just pointing ahead of him) and earns the team a strong performance and with it MOTM. Then he is praised for making such efforts like he is suddenly improving.

Then in another game he decides "nah, not really up for this" - lazy half hearted effort, allowing a league one defender to look like Franco Beresi. Its an absolute disgrace. But all I read is "he scored thats his job" - its absolutely not. How many ways do people want it? If he isn't supposed to be the type of player who mucks in, bullies defenders and takes a leading role then don't praise him for it when he does. Likewise when he is deciding to wait for his team mates to do the hard work do not excuse him for that.

I will continue to be a tough critic till I see a continued effort from the lad, this picking and choosing games just doesnt sit right with me. It was as clear as day that he just wasn't up for it last night until a few players shamed him into doing something. He then suddenly thought "oohh I can get a goal here".

His second half rescued him from being slaughtered as it wasn't just everton fans who slated his first half - he was lucky to get a second half. I like what he says in his interviews, about time he starts backing it up.

Most of that is fair (except cashing in for money - it doesn't matter!). But I still challenge this "he can't be arsed" stuff. Have you noticed that his poor performances are intrinsically linked with the squads performance? 1st half we were shit, and so was he. 2nd half, we were great and he improved immensely.

This is what I mean in terms of support, just as much as providing chances. If the 9 behind him are screwing up and messing around, he looks lost because he's not involved. Get the 9 behind on form, and he is a monster.

I'm sure there is a bit of mentality that needs work on, but I class it as frustration rather than being lazy. If he was lazy, why would he bother stepping up in the second half?

He does need to be more consistent. But, that can be said of every other player on the pitch, not to mention the manager.

Edited by Matt

Europe and League Cup don't count though, remember?

:fishing:

40 goals in 85 games will do me Matt, he can only score when he's playing doesn't matter what competition it is. He'll get 20 plus again this season easily.

I know he can be lazy but ultimately he was brought in to score gials and 40 in 85 is almost 1 in 2 and MUCH better than anything we've had for a long time. I thought all the other strikers we'd had over the years played in cups and a few in Europe as well.

Love him or hate him he scores goals and he is OURS.

Rome Romelu

Rome Romelu

Rome Romelu

Romelu Lukaku

He only got one last night though remember. The other was an OG.

I'm still on the fence with him. He can be a beast and a baby. That's what is so frustrating about him. You find yourself telling him to wake up during a match because you know when he does the opposition are in trouble.

And the euro argument for me is based on the thought that if he could get 20 goals in the league.....our positon would have likely been a lot higher.

In the premier he was poor last year.

In Euro he was a beast.

Hope he can grab 20 this year and get us into Europe. I think he can easily.

There's a possibility that if he has a purple patch he could end up top premier scorer.

I'm still on the fence with him. He can be a beast and a baby. That's what is so frustrating about him. You find yourself telling him to wake up during a match because you know when he does the opposition are in trouble.

He never he scored 2 the 3rd and 5th

Very good way of describing him.

He can't put me in a vault any time soon - but I seriously hope he does and I mean that.

"IF" - he taps into whatever it is that made Gerrard, Keane, Viera, Shearer, such fearsome competitors and by that I mean just 50% of their desire and focus then we have a player on our hands.

Till then he will delight and frustrate in equal measure. Physically he has the attributes to dominate - mentally he just can't get going. Its not just his team mates, sometimes he "goes through the motions".

Anyone who has played saturday/sunday league knows how annoying it is to have a player who can be a match winner who comes up against a rough arse team from Runcorn and decides to hide, not get stuck in and basically be a passenger - I see that in him and its not good. He needs a kick or something most games.