IGNORED

Play-off For Last Cl Place?

I think it's a fantastic idea tbh. Out of the interests of football rather than our own interests. Sure you'd be annoyed if you finished 4th and lost in the play-offs but you'd probably still qualify for the the Europa right? And if all top European leagues brought in this play-off system then the Europa League would become more prestigious anyway.

EDIT: Yay for internet lag, sorry for the triple post.

Edited by Grarghsies

I think it's a fantastic idea tbh. Out of the interests of football rather than our own interests. Sure you'd be annoyed if you finished 4th and lost in the play-offs but you'd probably still qualify for the the Europa right? And if all top European leagues brought in this play-off system then the Europa League would become more prestigious anyway.

EDIT: Yay for internet lag, sorry for the triple post.

Holland already uses this system IIRC. They play for who gets to finish 2nd (which is the last CL spot I assume).

In Belgium (granted not a top league :P) they now implemented a system where you play all season long, and then the top 6 has a little tournament for who actually wins the championship (and the CL en Europa League places). The points of the first 6 get divided by two at the start of the tournament. So if last year you would have won the league by 5 points, this year you get to start a little tournament with a 2.5 point lead. I have my doubts.

Surprise surprise this comes about when the hold on a top four spot is under threat......

I wouldnt be surprised that although Liverpool and Arsenal have apparently raised objections they would be in favour of this going ahead.... after all sooner or later City will be making a push for one of them top four spots... I dont see any other way the sky 4 could "guarantee" there participation in the champions league....

So it would be possible to have a pretty average season, whilst a few other teams don't perform and you scrape 7th place.You could even jump into that 7th spot on goal difference on the last game of the season.THEN!.....have a good couple of games and a tad of luck, and your in the champions league. :unsure:

Could just have a raffle :blink:

Would that mean that last season Fulham could have been in the CL?

Im sorry to those I offend but its a fucking joke. These last few years we have battled hard for 4/5/6th as well as other teams yet as soon as a certain side look as though they are going the otherway quite rapidly this idea pops up. Its called the Premier League because thats what it is, a league. Please dont start introducing these 'play-offs' as sooner or later you could finish 6th and win the league (a la Rugby League).

Its a joke and whoever is more consistent over the 38 games deserves 4th spot. End of.

So it would be possible to have a pretty average season, whilst a few other teams don't perform and you scrape 7th place.You could even jump into that 7th spot on goal difference on the last game of the season.THEN!.....have a good couple of games and a tad of luck, and your in the champions league. :unsure:

Could just have a raffle :blink:

I assume there would be some sort of carry over of league points into the playoffs system.

Aren't there any Dutch TT-members? I'd love to hear their view on how the system has been working out for them so far.

Aren't there any Dutch TT-members? I'd love to hear their view on how the system has been working out for them so far.

Scrapped for the Champs League apparently....

A similar system to the idea of play-offs was introduced by the Dutch Eredivise in 2005-06, with teams finishing from second to ninth competing for a place in both the Champions League and what was then the Uefa Cup.

That idea was scrapped in 2008 for the Champions League, with teams finishing fifth to eighth now vying for a place in the rebranded Europa League.

just seen this on the BBC site, FSW is moaning about it but something else caught my eye:

"The move would need the approval of 14 of the 20 Premier League clubs to come into effect, and could not be introduced for three years because of existing television contracts."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8520653.stm

also thought this was nice, though we werent mentioned:

"It has been interpreted as a way of increasing competition in the Premier League, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have filled the top four positions in five out of the past six seasons."

found this too, after i was about to log in to have a go at the blogger, saw this and was temporarily distracted:

5. At 4:44pm on 15 Feb 2010, knowshisclaretfromhisbeaujolais wrote:

How about a play off between the winners of the Carling Cup and the FA Cup for Champions League football? Might make teams take the cups a little more seriously from now on.

from the blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2010/02/premier_league_playoff_plan_co.html

Edited by galacticaracnid

Saw that blog before...the most annoying part is...

"It's not hard to imagine how this is going to go down with the chairmen. For the genuinely ambitious clubs like Aston Villa, Man City and Spurs, frustrated at banging their heads on a glass ceiling, it's going to be attractive....

...A couple of seasons without Champions League football for Liverpool at the moment would be a huge financial blow. Yet the attraction for the upper mid-table outfits like Birmingham, Everton and Fulham is clear to see."

I think (if he makes a very cursory check of recent league tables) he'll find that it's us who have been "banging their heads at a glass ceiling," and even breaking through it once.

Saw that blog before...the most annoying part is...

"It's not hard to imagine how this is going to go down with the chairmen. For the genuinely ambitious clubs like Aston Villa, Man City and Spurs, frustrated at banging their heads on a glass ceiling, it's going to be attractive....

...A couple of seasons without Champions League football for Liverpool at the moment would be a huge financial blow. Yet the attraction for the upper mid-table outfits like Birmingham, Everton and Fulham is clear to see."

I think (if he makes a very cursory check of recent league tables) he'll find that it's us who have been "banging their heads at a glass ceiling," and even breaking through it once.

the only team to do so too! this is why i was trying to log in to shout at him, midtable my arse. but i got distracted... turns out it wasnt too early for the minibar!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.

Could you imagine the 7th placed team getting into the Champions League? It'd be an embarrassment for them and the PL.

personally think its crazy that 4th place gets such a reward. No other sport that i know of rewards 4th. Gold, Silver, Bronze.... Tin?